Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Love my mini!!

Options
Cooked for the first time on my mini and I think I'm in love that little egg kicks ass. It was up to temp in seconds flat and it used so little lump. Here are pic's from tonight's dinner
Toronto,  Ontario,  Large, Large, Mini Max

Comments

• RickyBobby
    Options
    Wow! I will have me a mini someday. Those Minis FREAKIN ROCK!!!!!!!! :-j
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Yep exactly how I do it.
    Seattle, WA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,676
    Options
    Got to love the Mini
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,735
    Options
    That plate is beautiful. Nice meal!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Seriously? I haven't used mine in almost a year. No room on the grid, takes almost as long to get to temp as my large and I can't control temp once i finally get there! Large is dead solid perfect. My Smokey Joe is at least as good as a mini - and it's only 30 bucks! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Options
    Seriously? I haven't used mine in almost a year. No room on the grid, takes almost as long to get to temp as my large and I can't control temp once i finally get there! Large is dead solid perfect. My Smokey Joe is at least as good as a mini - and it's only 30 bucks! 

I will give you $60 for the Mini :)]
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Options
    I will give you 75 dollars and an autographed picture of Fred Macmurray..
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Great looking meal. You are going to find that the mini does a great job cooking up some fantastic meals. I'll be firing mine up tonight.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    Options
    @Carolina Q: I saw you hating on your mini in another thread too. If yours takes as long as a large to get to temp, then there's something wrong. Mine was 400* in less than 10 minutes yesterday with the platesetter in. I got a highQ grate for it after some slow starts and now the thing is a rocket. It also dials in temperature just like my large.

I can totally get not liking yours, but if struggles to get hot and has clumsy temperature control, then it sounds like you've got something out of whack.

I had a smokey joe and sold it after 2 cooks on the mini, FWIW. And I've cooked sausages on the mini for 30.
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    What is the grate diameter of the mini? I'm looking for a grate that is 12 inches . Want it so I can drop it down inside my medium and it will sit on the lip of the firebox without me pulling the fire ring. Just can't find a 12 inch grate anywhere online unless it is custom built.
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • BryanLyle
    Options
    Tackman said:
    "and an autographed picture of Fred Macmurray.."
    That might be the funniest thing that I've read online in quite a while.
  • stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    Options
    Mini is 10 or 10.5.
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • Mickey
    Options
    What is the grate diameter of the mini? I'm looking for a grate that is 12 inches . Want it so I can drop it down inside my medium and it will sit on the lip of the firebox without me pulling the fire ring. Just can't find a 12 inch grate anywhere online unless it is custom built.
    I see you going to a box store and getting a 12" for a Webber. The Small is only 11 (I think).

• laserdoc85
    Options
    Mickey said:
    I see you going to a box store and getting a 12" for a Webber. The Small is only 11 (I think).
    The small Weber grate is 13 inches not 12. I wish it was that easy to pick one up at Home Depot. I have looked and looked.Online also. Nothing ! I found one guy that makes custom sizes but his is 50 bucks with 15 shipping. Sixty five bucks is out of the question
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Get the Pitmaster for the mini...it's a straw.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    13inch grate and a grinder would do the trick
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• laserdoc85
    Options
    grege345 said:
    13inch grate and a grinder would do the trick
    Hmmmm that might just work. I could take my dermal and cut the whole outside ring off then it would fit down inside and rest on top of the firebox without removing the fire ring on my medium.
    I like to stick my grate about an inch over the charcoal to cook my steaks
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • Elmer Fudd
    Options
    Love the mini for the small cooks and it probably gets more use thane the large. Best meal I made on it was a a leg of lamb roast using the mini woo (indirect). Fairly simple but might redo at the frozen fest next week. Ron
    Minneapolis / St. Paul. Large & Mini
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    Message sent.  Sell me that mini for real.  :)
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,606
    Options
    @laserdoc85 - dremel will work but angle grinder will be easier.
    canuckland
  • grege345
    Options
    Bolt cutters would probably work also

• laserdoc85
    Options
    Dermal or bench grinder are my two choices
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • grege345
    Options
    Dermal will possibly work but boy that would take some time

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    henapple said:
    Baw ha ha ha!!
    =))

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    henapple said:

Now that's a funny!

:)) :))
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX