Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

does butcher paper offer any benefits on the egg?

Options
From what I have read the benefits of butcher paper are.

1. It protects the bark from getting to dark during high heat cooks.
2. is cheaper than foil.
3. you don't get the braised effect you get when crutching with foil.

I cook butts and brisket at 240 grid temp.
 I don't use foil during the cook. I don't like the mushy texture it gives me.
 I do ftc butts and briskets. I think it helps with the texture of the meat.
 It does soften the bark ; this I don't like.

So would crutching with paper speed the cook like foil ?
 If you ftc causing the bark to soften is there any point in paper ?
 What does paper have to offer on the egg if not cooking high heat ?

Comments

• laserdoc85
    Options
    That paper smoke taste and nice flair ups ??
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • fairchase
    Options
    So I guess butcher paper isn't a big hit on the egg
  • drewmack
    Options

I have not used it on my egg yet but have on my off set several times. Works great, paper breathes enough to not get to soft and holds in moisture. I am going to use this method on my next egg brisket cook.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I gave great success with paper for butts. On briskets, I don't like mushy texture it makes the meat. My brisket results without paper are great so I don't see a reason to fix it. There is more than enough moisture in the egg and we're not cooking with wood like franklin bbq does. Completely different cooking experience on the egg.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • drewmack
    Options

Did the cook time speed up when you used it for butts?

• cazzy
    Options
    I did a modified turbo cook so I could more bark than the regular turbo. It was great!

325 dome
    Wrap in paper @ 170
    Took 6 hours for a 8 lb butt
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I haven't tried it yet.  I bought a big roll of parchment paper at Costco but haven't used it yet. 

I suppose the idea is that that butcher paper will have a similar effect as foil, but since the paper is permeable it is not completely air tight so it is less has less of an effect.  So, it will speed up the cook but not as much as foil.  It will soften the bark, but not as much as foil.  Also it might let a little smoke flavor through.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I used butcher paper to wrap two briskets recently (but in my cabinet smoker) and it did not accelerate the cook like foil does.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • drewmack
    Options
    Thanks, just wrapped a butt in butcher paper!! Cazzy wings before supper!!
  • cazzy
    Options
    drewmack said:

Thanks, just wrapped a butt in butcher paper!! Cazzy wings before supper!!

One warning! One time I pulled off a paper wrapped butt and wrapped foil over the paper since I needed to FTC. I don't know what it is with that combo (wrapped in paper, then foil), but it sucked all the juice from the butt and it sucked. The paper was dripping wet. Cen-Tex did the same with a brisket a month later and the same thing happened to him. If you need to FTC, take it out of the paper...then foil.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Cazzy. .did you just say...good results from paper on the butt? Sucked all the juice from the butt? You're a sick puppy.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN