Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homemade BBQ Sauce Shelf-life??

Options
Made a homemade bbq sauce this wk-end to go on a Butt. I was wondering what you guys think the life of this is in the refrigerator since it doesn't have the preservatives of the store bought stuff. It was so good I hate to throw it out.

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    My rule of thumb is if any of the ingredients had already been in the refrig then my homemade sauce goes there as well. I make a favorite that makes 2 quarts at a time. I freeze one and keep the other in the refrig until used up.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I just leave in the fridge. Depending on the sauce, either the ingredients already have "preservatives" in them, as in ketchup, or they are primarily vinegar and/or mustard (which has a good deal of vinegar in it), and that should keep forever. I make an Arthur Bryant rip-off that I've kept in the fridge for four months or more with no issues. I also make a Carolina mustard-based sauce that my stepson loves on fries, and that has been in the fridge for six months or more. A pure vinegar Carolina sauce I think I've had for a year. 

We don't use much regular ketchup; I generally toss that after a year because it starts to turn dark, but I'm not sure it presents any danger.  
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    Most of the sauces I get from cookbooks say up to one year in the fridge...
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    Great to know!!

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• thailandjohn
    Options
    The two different sauces that I make get better with age. I like to make them and let them sit for two months before using