Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for those with a table

I know this may sound dumb but It seems like it will be a beast to place the large Egg down the hole without dropping. No easy way to get a grip on it.

Comments

• JeffM
    JeffM Posts: 103
    Most DIY'ers undo the strap and remove the top.  Remove all the inside pieces and place in hole.  If you have a couple of helpers you may be able to manhandle it in if you have access all around the table,i.e. if it is not built against a wall.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    It is not easy.  I would definitely remove the top to make it lighter and get at least one other person to help.  With 3 people, it is a snap.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I normally loosen the lower band and remove the dome with the bands and hinges still firmly attached to the dome.
    Then remove the guts from the base. Only takes a few extra minutes. Makes this an easy single person job. With two people removing all the inner parts makes it an easy job w/o removing the dome.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    Or, remove the lid and all internal parts. Stand on the table with the egg at your feet. Then reach down inside and grab hold of the base through the bottom vent and lower it into the hole.
    a one person operation.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • Vent will cut the sh$t out of your hand. Be careful. Experience speaking.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Understanding that not everyone has the option, I just assembled in place.
    A LBGE perched atop Lookout Mountain, Fort Payne, Alabama
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Take dome off, internals out, get your neighbor over and you should be good.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited January 2014
    +1 with the above

Mine is an XL which is really a beast.  I needed to add some support to my table (it was sagging) so had to remove and replace the egg.  I Ioosened the upper band and removed the dome and all internals.  A neighbor helped me lift it out, but I was able to put it back in by myself (though it was awkward).

Note, when I reassembled, my gasket seal was even better than before, and of course the bands were nice and tight
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Tie the band together...it may spring up a pop you in the lip.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • marcfed
    marcfed Posts: 47
    Me and my father uses two ratchet straps and created a sling that went around the outer circumference of the egg and then lifted into place
  • I seperated the dome and base, removed the internals .Reached in and grabbed through the open vent (caution it can be sharp) used it like a handle and placed the base in the table. Put the dome back on and replaced internals. I placed the plastic locks on the hinge prioe to removal. It is not light but can be handled.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Remove the first few front boards on your table and slide it in. Replace the boards and you're ready to cook. Easier on the back.
    XL, large and small. Hartwell GA on beautiful Lake Hartwell.
  • Keefer
    Keefer Posts: 120
    edited January 2014
    I put my large in by myself. I don't reccomend it. I cribbed up some short boards in alternate directions so that I did not have so far down to go with it when I set it in. Then each time I hefted it back up a little - my wife took out a couple boards. Finally got it down on the granite. Then I had to lift it back up a little to insert the nest.
  • lombard
    lombard Posts: 23
    Yeah, I installed mine by myself.  Assembled in place, so as long as you're only lifting the bottom of it (no lid, no internals), it's not too bad.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Fire up a small pile of lump around the corner and when all the neighbors show up to see what's egging......you have plenty of help !!!!!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• If you take out the guts (firebox etc) you can reach inside and grip the egg with your hand through the ash hole (yeah, I said that). I have a large and I easily placed it in my table myself like this. Of course, I am 6'2" and fairly strong, so I don't know, but it wasn't too bad. A case of beer usually will get some helping hands over if that fails!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • My buddy has a pot lifter like the one shown above. It makes moving the egg a breeze.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • TMay
    TMay Posts: 87
    I built my table, then removed the front top boards, then just pulled the large egg out of the nest and put it on the shelf in the table, then re-installed the upper boards.  Was pretty easy
    Rowlett, Texas