Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

London Broil! First time!

Options
I am marinating two london broils right now!  They will go on sometime around lunch time tomorrow!  Can't wait to see how they turn out.

Planning on searing each side then cooking to about 140 IT direct.  What you think?

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited January 2014
    Options
    How do you like your steaks?  If you pull at 140, the temp will keep going up for another 10-15 minutes.  If you want the final temp to be 140, you may want to pull at 133-135...  Other than that, looks great...

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    +1 what Chris Wang just said. BTW I hope yours turn out as GREAT as mine did last Saturday night!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    That looks delicious Ron!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    London Broil in usually the first cut off of the top round, cut 2 to 3 inches thick, you should tenderize first or it can be tough. Use a jaccard of some type.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • cdees_1993
    Options
    Although that one above looks amazing for me, the wife likes her meat a little more done.  That is why I was going with the 140 number.  You think that will make it get too tough?

• cdees_1993
    Options
    @Chris_Wang I like mine Medium, but wife likes medium well.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    sorry, but even medium means a good chance it will be tough - it doesn't take much to ruin that cut of meat. If you have a Jaccard then work it over real good and you might be able to satisfy SWMBO's tastes. Good luck!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Try hot-tubbing it; that's a great cut to cook that way.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    we have LB with a chimichurri sauce  (basically a pesto made with parsley/lemon juice instead of basil)

My Goodness!!! good stuff!!

as RRP said, it doesn't take much to over-cook and make it like shoe leather.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Whatever temp you cook it to, it you slice it nice and thin, it shouldn't be too tough.  Consider a reverse sear.  You could also cook to a lower temp and give hers a bath in warm beef broth to get rid of the pink.  Everybody wins!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY