Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili Night this Week

I'm buying a Dutch oven this week and want to try some chili. What recipe would you guys recommend? It does to need to be hot, SWMBO won't like it if it is.
Huntsville, Al LBGE

Comments

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120

brown a pound of ground beef with chopped onion in the DO

Mix in: 2 cans kidney beans, can of rotel, can of diced tomatoes, and a large (32 oz?) can of tomato juice.  Cumin and chili powder to taste (ancho's not hot) .  Simmer for a few hours with a chunk of hickory.  Serve over rice and top it with diced onion and shredded cheddar.

Easy Peasey

Signal Mountain, TN
  • I don't know much about the Dutch oven. Will I need to cover it? Or leave the top off?
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    I don't know much about the Dutch oven. Will I need to cover it? Or leave the top off?
    Top off on the Dutch oven......try this one (throwdown winning recipe, by the way! :

Cow Lickin’ Chili

Ingredients :

Olive Oil

1 & 1/2 lbs. ground Chuck 

1 lb. Italian Sausage

2 cups Onion (chopped)

1 green Bell Pepper (seeded and chopped)

2 Jalapeno chiles (seeded and chopped fine)

1-2 Serrano chiles (seeded amd chopped fine)

1 Tbls. Garlic  (minced)

1 (28 oz.) can diced Tomatoes and liquid 

1 (15 oz.) can diced Tomatoes and liquid

1 can Rotel

2 cans (15 oz. each) Pinto, dark Kidney, or Black Beans (drained)

3 Tbls. Chili Powder

1 Tbls. Ancho Chile Powder

1 & 1/2 Tbls. ground Cumin

2 oz. semi-sweet Chocolate

1 tsp. ground Cinnamon 

2 Bay Leaves

1 tsp. dried Oregano

3 Tbls. Dizzy Pig Cow Lick Steak Rub

2 cups Beef Broth 

1 cup dry Red Wine

2-3 dried Chili Peppers (chipotle, ancho, etc.) to float on top

Salt and fresh ground Pepper to taste

Wood Chunks 

Preparation:

Preheat your Egg to 350° F. with inverted plate setter (legs up).

Place dutch oven in the egg on the plate setter and add 2 Tbls. olive oil.

Add the ground chuck and sausage (break up into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon). Add 2 or 3 fist-sized chunks of wood to coals.

Close lid and cook for about 30-45 minutes, stirring every few minutes.

Remove dutch oven from egg, remove meat and drain on paper towels.

Wipe dutch oven dry with paper towels.

Return dutch oven to egg, add more olive oil and saute´ onions, green pepper, jalapenos, and serrano(s) until limp. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and cook, uncovered, for about 2 hours (add water as needed to prevent drying).

Note : After the mixture starts to simmer, you can reduce the dome temperature to 300° F. Remove bay leaves, dried chiles, correct seasoning and serve.

• Good grief. That sounds good.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited January 2014

I think I mentioned this in another post, but I've found (via John Besh) that whenever you cook onions and peppers together, you want to put the onions in first to let them caramelize (about 6-8 minutes - til they're brown and a little nutty smelling) and then add your peppers (and celery and whatever else).  If you add them all at once, the water in the peppers keeps the onions from caramelizing and they just wilt and turn translucent.  This adds one more level of flavor to your dish.  I also find that it tends to shrink your onions even more than normal, so I would up the amount by 1.2 - 1.5.

Otherwise, that chili recipe looks killer (also, I know it's not standard, but I love black beans in chili).  Will be trying.

NOLA
  • Just bought a new 5qt Lodge DO. Supposed to possibly snow Tuesday. Thinking of cooking it tomorrow night. And then warming it up on Tuesday night as I won't have time to cook on Tuesday
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • @tn_egger do you simmer direct at around 300 or what
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • egret said:
    I don't know much about the Dutch oven. Will I need to cover it? Or leave the top off?
    Top off on the Dutch oven......try this one (throwdown winning recipe, by the way! :

Cow Lickin’ Chili

Ingredients :

Olive Oil

1 & 1/2 lbs. ground Chuck 

1 lb. Italian Sausage

2 cups Onion (chopped)

1 green Bell Pepper (seeded and chopped)

2 Jalapeno chiles (seeded and chopped fine)

1-2 Serrano chiles (seeded amd chopped fine)

1 Tbls. Garlic  (minced)

1 (28 oz.) can diced Tomatoes and liquid 

1 (15 oz.) can diced Tomatoes and liquid

1 can Rotel

2 cans (15 oz. each) Pinto, dark Kidney, or Black Beans (drained)

3 Tbls. Chili Powder

1 Tbls. Ancho Chile Powder

1 & 1/2 Tbls. ground Cumin

2 oz. semi-sweet Chocolate

1 tsp. ground Cinnamon 

2 Bay Leaves

1 tsp. dried Oregano

3 Tbls. Dizzy Pig Cow Lick Steak Rub

2 cups Beef Broth 

1 cup dry Red Wine

2-3 dried Chili Peppers (chipotle, ancho, etc.) to float on top

Salt and fresh ground Pepper to taste

Wood Chunks 

Preparation:

Preheat your Egg to 350° F. with inverted plate setter (legs up).

Place dutch oven in the egg on the plate setter and add 2 Tbls. olive oil.

Add the ground chuck and sausage (break up into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon). Add 2 or 3 fist-sized chunks of wood to coals.

Close lid and cook for about 30-45 minutes, stirring every few minutes.

Remove dutch oven from egg, remove meat and drain on paper towels.

Wipe dutch oven dry with paper towels.

Return dutch oven to egg, add more olive oil and saute´ onions, green pepper, jalapenos, and serrano(s) until limp. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and cook, uncovered, for about 2 hours (add water as needed to prevent drying).

Note : After the mixture starts to simmer, you can reduce the dome temperature to 300° F. Remove bay leaves, dried chiles, correct seasoning and serve.

My recipe is very similar to this but I also throw in diced steak that I lightly smoke on the egg (whatever's on sale).

I use a bottle of good beer instead of wine, and I add a shot of espresso. It is honestly the best chili I've ever had.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Replace the chuck with brisket. .
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I simmered mine indirect with the top off. Mine is the Eggfest Chili recipe from the BGE cookbook. Yesterday was my first time making this recipe. I'll definitely do it again. I used 3 dehydrated chilies while it simmered. They gave it just the right amount of heat.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    I simmer indirect at about 300 - 330.  Whatever it takes.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • I cooked it about 2 hours. Added some bad Byron's right at the end. And a little minced garlic while I was browning the meat. Also used half ground deer and half ground chuck.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE