Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs smell bad??

Options
So I just opened some pork loin back ribs I got from Cosco on Friday night and they smelled terrible. I was thinking that it may have just be the liquid that they where soaking in that smelled so bad but I have washed them off and the still have a rotten smell to them.

The package said that they where packed on 1/24/14 and sell by date was 1/30/14. 

Should I trust the sticker of my nose?

I have already gotten the egg up to temp and put one rack on and was going to vacuum seal the rest but I'm seconded guessing myself and thinking I should throw them all out. 

What would you do?
Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone

Comments

• Jilogethan4
    Options
    I never cook anything that smells bad, worked in restaurants for years and dont take the chance.  Rather be safe than sorry.  Just my opinion
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options

I would take them back and get new ones.

If they smell real bad after rinsing I think they may be bad. I wouldn't eat them.

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    You could run them back to Costco and get some replacements. It might set your dinner plans back a little but the egg will be stabilized when you get back home.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    its the cryovac.  rinse and let them air out.  you will be good to go 

• Cloom
    Cloom Posts: 21
    Options
    Pork from cryovac can smell real funky but should be fine. If the smell is really bad rub them with some vinegar and then rinse them off, the ribs should smell fine afterwards. The same goes for pork butt. If it still smells bad after the vinegar wash then i wouldn't use them.
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options

I usually smell some smell but usually goes away after rinsing.

I had one rack it was rotten. The whole kitchen stunk when I opened and my commented and she was in another room. So depends how bad a smell you have going on.

• Jeffroe189
    Options
    It was a pretty bad smell. I have a pregnant wife that is going to pop any day now so I figured I should be safe and not sorry. I threw them out and called Costco they told me do not eat them and bring back the packing label and they would give me a full refund. After reading about the Cryovac smell Im not sure if that is what I was smelling or not. I guess I will give it another go in a couple weeks and if they smell the same then I will know what to expect.

Thanks for all the comments.

This forum is the BEST!!!!
  • Jeffroe189
    Options
    I should also say the whole Kitchen still stinks from these ribs. 

Still think it could be the Cryovac?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    The smell when you open them is like sulphur or natural gas. As has been said if you rinsed them well and let them sit for a while better not to eat them.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cortguitarman
    Options
    As others have said, the cryovac makes a sulphur smell but it shouldn't stink up the whole kitchen.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Jeffroe189
    Options
    Ok good Im feeling better about trashing 30 dollars of ribs. I know I'm going to get my money back but still hate wasting meat like that.