Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rudys in Houston

Options
Was in Houston for this past week for work. Had zero free time so didn't mention my trip on here, but did manage to hit Rudys twice during the week. Brisket was dayum good and loved the atmosphere. Had 10 coworkers with me. Sure there are other spots, but Rudys was a nice treat while in town.
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    OHHHHH  SNAP!!!  Look who's back from their lil 1 week break!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    cazzy said:
    OHHHHH  SNAP!!!  Look who's back from their lil 1 week break!

You caught me :)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Look who's back, Chubbs is back...
  • cazzy
    Options
    I heard if you order right, Rudy's can be great!  I think you have to specifically ask for extra moist brisket to get the good stuff.
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Yep 1/2 lb moist was the way to go. Delicious. Others just ordered brisket sandy, etc and look pretty dry naturally.. Moist was on point
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Good BBQ even though they are chain.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I used to go to the original in Taylor. It was great there.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Isn't the original in Leon Springs? I love the way they support the military. Sent me rub and sauce in Korea back in 2000. And chopped is the best deal in America. 1/2 lb for like $3. They give you the bread and sauce. That's 3 sammiches for $3.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You were in a Texas and didn't say hello :((
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I ate at Rudy's in El Paso...it was ok. The original store is better
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    Welcome again-some things never change and then there is the forum :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I miss Rudy's! I live in MN and used to cover TX as a territory and tried to hit Rudy's on every trip. I've had some of the best (and some of the "not best") brisket I've ever had. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Mickey said:
    You were in a Texas and didn't say hello :((

Yeah unfortunately literally no free time until after 9pm every day
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    Rudy's in Leon Springs was my first taste of brisket ever. The experience that fuels my entire love for meat+smoke....
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    My first brisket was Good Company in Houston. Is it still there? Any good?
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Teedoff
    Teedoff Posts: 65
    Options
    GQuiz said:
    Isn't the original in Leon Springs? I love the way they support the military. Sent me rub and sauce in Korea back in 2000. And chopped is the best deal in America. 1/2 lb for like $3. They give you the bread and sauce. That's 3 sammiches for $3.
    Ok, now I feel like a pig. 3 sammies out of a half a pound? You and I make very different sandwiches.
    Decatur, AL
  • cazzy
    Options
    Teedoff said:
    GQuiz said:
    Ok, now I feel like a pig. 3 sammies out of a half a pound? You and I make very different sandwiches.

:))
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    Options
    Rudy's is a chain and there seems to be some differences in the menu between them, perhaps the way they do the meat also.  I know Rudy's in Austin in my favorite BBQ place (particularly the one on 183).  I've tried the on in College Station and wasn't impressed. 
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    aem said:
    Rudy's is a chain and there seems to be some differences in the menu between them, perhaps the way they do the meat also.  I know Rudy's in Austin in my favorite BBQ place (particularly the one on 183).  I've tried the on in College Station and wasn't impressed. 
    Oh man Rudys in Austin!  I was there for a computer class(yes I am a computer geek) years ago and went there one night, and the next night, etc.  I had been to County Line BBQ before and it was okay, but just loved Rudys.
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options
    I used to go to the original in Taylor. It was great there.

The  Original is actually in Leon Springs just north of San Antonio.  http://www.rudysbbq.com/page/about, I have been eating there since the it opened.....
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About