Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked sausage on a Green Egg

Options
jerryh
jerryh Posts: 3
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone tried smoking sausage on their egg. My son gave me about 20 pounds of elk hamburger that I plan on making sausage out of. Everything I read says the temperature should not exceed 170 F. Will the egg hold a temperature this low.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited January 2012
    Options
    internal temp not over 170? 
    if you hot smoke a sausage, which is cooking it, but gently, you can run a fire anywhere from say 180-225.  250 max.  when the sausage hits, 160 (i wouldn't go to 170 myself), you can either eat it, or plunge it in an icewater bath. that will keep it from shriveling, and cool it quickly.  later, you can just grill it to reheat and eat.

i'm guessing you aren't talking about cold smoking either, but that can be done too.  just keep the egg under 100 or so.  there are some gadget-oriented set-ups we can explain if that's what you are looking for.

but the "not above 170" thing sounds like it's more about not overcooking lean sausage beyond that temp.  because 170 dome temp would be hot smoking, and hot smoking is ok within a range of somewhere around 160-225 (plus/minus).  if they mean 170 for the final temp of the sausage, in my book it's ten degrees too high.  heck, i'd probably not go above 150, to be honest.  anything iffy would be dead at 140
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • jerryh
    jerryh Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks Stike, I'm using a Trail Bologna  cure by Lem and fiberous casings. Their instructions say to keep the smoker temperature under 170F. This is my first try at this and I will try to keep the Egg temperature at 170-180. I would appreciate any other advice. 
  • stike
    Options
    You can do it. 170 is a little tough. Mine will handle 180 or somfor a while. Dont let it get over your target temp

How long is the cook?
  • walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    Options

I smoked about 30lbs of deer sausage last night using naked whiz's method.  It turned out pretty good.

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options

While you may be able to use any temp from 170-225 to hot smoke sausage (to 160 internal) ... the lower temps are more desirable if you want to get a decent amount of smoke flavor. 

It comes down to how much time the meat is exposed to the smoke.  At 225 it won't take nearly as long to hit 160 internal as it would if you could run at 170-180.  

• stike
    Options
    understood.
    was trying to determine from his OP if the 170 was the desired internal temp of the sausage, or the smoke chamber.  it was not clear.   
  • gregeddins
    Options
    I know this is an old post...but can I get a link to the NakedWhiz's method?  Tried googling it and going to the site...no joy.

Thanks!