Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustable Rig Confusion

Options
I almost pulled the trigger and bought an adjustable rig three or four times in the past few months. One main problem I have is that I already have a platesetter and hate for it to go to waste. I also already have a spider, so that is not needed. For raised direct cooks I have learned to improvise, flipping my spider over, legs down, and elevating my great to about the level of the felt line. The one thing I consistently need is more grid space....not too often, but whenever I do ribs, wings for large groups of people, it becomes an issue. Can you cook elevated direct on two different levels using the adjustable rig? Is there something else that will allow me to do this that might be cheaper? I understand it is a great product and Tom has been wonderful with everything I've purchased from him in the past. But, every time I start to push the order button, I think that for $160, I'm halfway to spending the money on a Small Egg. I believe the demo Eggs are around $350 at eggfests. Anyone have suggestion, or answers to the few questions I have?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• shadowcaster
    Options
    Get the AR and stop thinking about it haha. I think you will be very pleases with the AR and the only thing you will regret is not buying it sooner. It just gives you so many more options and room. Raised direct is a little different with two level but can be done if you rotate bottom to top every so often. Good luck in your decision
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Well I think you need to weigh the pros and cons.. If mainly getting a second egg to have two raised direct grates going at one time, then you come out way cheaper getting the AR for the other egg. If want another egg for traveling and weeknight cooks, then another story. I say embrace the addiction and get the AR and then start saving money for second egg. I lover my AR and second egg equally
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    Will the AR adequately allow me to cook on two levels at one time, both direct and indirect? I checked out their website and honestly I believe they provide so much information, I keep confusing myself.
    Athens, GA
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    If you really wanted one you would have it by now! Also, there are cheaper ways to cook on two levels.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • bvc
    bvc Posts: 37
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Mayberry said:
    Will the AR adequately allow me to cook on two levels at one time, both direct and indirect? I checked out their website and honestly I believe they provide so much information, I keep confusing myself.
    Short answer: yes

I just got my AR R&B combo with the AR Rig Extender.  I also opted for an additional oval grate option with the AR Extender after talking with Tom on the phone.  I have used it the last two weekends, doing 30lbs of wings indirect on two levels last weekend (several rounds...not all at once) and a single level cook last night/this morning with 3x 6lb pork butts. 

The set up all together isn't the cheapest way to cook raised multi-level, but after weighing options and thinking about it for awhile, I am so happy I bought this set up.  I highly recommend calling CGS and talking to Tom.  He will answer any questions you have and help you with what would be the right set up for you.
    Kenmore, WA
    Large and Small BGE
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Buy the AR. It will pay for itself in savings when you don't go out to eat! Mine is still paying me back. The neighbors and friends will bring the beer (and sometimes meat).

I have the platesetter and still use it fairly often. It's about having the right tool for the job.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    Yes, you can cook both direct and indirect on multiple levels at one time.  My setup allows me to use three grids at once if I want.  Like DVC, I got the AR R&B combo with rig extender and extra oval grid.  It increases your cooking capacity so much it's ridiculous.  It's like having multiple eggs.  Beyond that, the height that the AR (especially with the rig extender added) allows you to achieve is phenomenal.  I didn't know what crispy skin on a spatchcock chicken was until I cooked one on my rig extender.  Raised direct at the felt line is nothing like raised direct on top of the AR.  Get one!
    Southern California
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't have one for several reasons. I never cook enough to need two grids, I have another perfectly acceptable way to raise the grid, if I wanted a second grid, I would use carriage bolts and a cheap Weber grid and finally, it's too expensive for my budget.

Many swear by them (and CGS). I have no reason to doubt that. I just don't need what the AR provides.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Go ahead and get it. I only use the placesetter for pizzas now, just cuz I have it dialed down and haven't wanted to experiment/screw up. The only other thing I use thje PS for is bread. I just like hte more surface area blockage than the oval stone.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I say get it. If you only use it when you coom for big get togethers is worth it. I use mine almost with everything I cook.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    I have an AR and like it. But to be honest, if it wasn't given to me one Christmas I never would have bought one.  I had the placesetter and a second grate with cartridge bolts setup. I had no issues with two level cooking, it always worked great.  $30 in bolts and a grate compared to $100 and something for the AR setup just would not be justified in my mind.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I like u had it in my cart plenty of times. Since I had a PS I got the woo3 and the $20 extender group buy.
    Worked well for me so far.
    Seattle, WA
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Make your own for 20-30 bucks.  Weber 18in stainless charcoal grate fits perfectly with 6in stainless carriage bolts. sorry for the blurry pic.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    JethroVA said:

Make your own for 20-30 bucks.  Weber 18in stainless charcoal grate fits perfectly with 6in stainless carriage bolts. sorry for the blurry pic.

While the home brew kits work, any person that has used a rig will tell you there is no comparison. Especially if you make brisket and ribs as much as us Texas Folk. Oval stone for the Win!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I wonder if he ever bought it. My guess is yes and he loves it
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    Lol...nope, not yet! I've got too many hobbies. Between Egging, running, mountain biking, and a few others, I'm always wanting to spend money on something new. Haven't gotten around to buying the AR yet. I think I will soon. Probably after I get pissed at not having enough space on the next large cook I do.
    Athens, GA
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    I use my P/S and my adjustable rig together quite frequently, why wouldn't you think that you could.   I have an XL never been an issue.
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Options
    When I was stuck with this decision, I came to the conclusion that I would most likely have my egg forever. That being said, I immediately bought the AR and all the goodies I wanted and didn't look back.

I use my AR for nearly every cook, and it's nearly doubled my capacity for my favorite cook, wings indirect. Now when I make them there are plenty of leftovers for my family and me to devour...

Good luck, and you really can't go wrong with either decision...
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    (1) Procrastinate a bit more
    (2) Call Tom and discuss
    (3) You will now be excited
    (4) Load the cart
    (5) Checkout before the procrastination sets in again, you have roughly two hours.
    (6) Wait a few days & wonder how is this any better
    (7) It arrives, you will now be very happy and love the extra space.

To be honest, I don't need the space all the time but when I do, its simply fantastic.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    You're gonna want it for the next big cook, so..... Don't wait till you're mad.
    Dunedin, FL
  • jmcnutt5
    jmcnutt5 Posts: 88
    Options
    cazzy said:
    While the home brew kits work, any person that has used a rig will tell you there is no comparison. Especially if you make brisket and ribs as much as us Texas Folk. Oval stone for the Win!
    While I would probably agree that there is no comparison between the home brew kits versues the actual AR, I would recommend you purchase/build something that suits your needs.  I am really on the fence about getting an AR too, but I am really asking myself if I would use it to its full potential or am I just telling myself that to spend the money.  I have no doubt it would make some things a lot easier but is it really enough to justify?  Decisions, decisions.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    As a relatively new egger, I've struggled with the same decision.  My conclusion was to build the weber-grid/carriage bolt set up, use it for a while, and spring for the AR if and when I outgrow it or can no longer resist the urge to spend more on my hobby.  

Here's a pic of wings on my home brewed raised grid.  Just looking at it reminds me of how satisfying it was to do it myself.  The wings were beyond great -- best ever, and so was some chicken breast I did raised direct.  Maybe an AR would be even better, but I was going after "raised" more than "2 level cooking" and this certainly got me there.

Now I'm struggling with getting (not getting) a woo.  If for no other reason, than I like saying it.

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    I am going to list my pswoo3 on craigslist and if it sells may pull the trigger on AR.
    Seattle, WA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    The advice given to try a home brewed setup for a while is sound. I played around with home brewed setups for more than a year, and then decided I was ready to spring for the AR R&B combo and rig extender. Here is why:

1. I missed the smoked wings from my drum smokers. The grid in my drums is about 24" above the charcoal basket, so flare-ups never affected the wings much. With the rig extender, the grid gets higher up in the dome and further away from the coals, so now I can make wings like I used to in my drums.

2. You can move the AR setup en bloc, as a single unit. With my home brewed setups, there were multiple pieces that had to be moved whenever I had to add lump or wood chunks. 

3. With the R&B combo, there is enough space on the sides to add wood chunks in case I forgot to add wood  when I lit the charcoal, or if I want to add wood after the temp has stabilized and before the meat goes on. 

4. The AR parts can just stay in the egg when not in use, so storage is simpler/easier than I had thought. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    I got an AR recently and it is a permanent fixture in my egg . I use it more than my thermapen.
    Short answer Get it .
    Toronto
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

I got the adjustable rig set up for both the XL and L eggs and never looked back.  TOM is awesome and so helpful it'll make you wonder how you got along without the setups before.

I did FOUR bone in pork shoulders on the LARGE EGG by using the adjustable rig setup Tom recommended and I could not be happier with the results.  They were jammed in there pretty good but with the spider, the stone and the adjustable rig and two grids spaced apart (one top, one bottom) the added capacity just can't be replicated any other way except by buying another egg (which I plan to do anyway).  The steel is pretty thick and will hold up for a long time.

Can't wait to do THREE levels (thanks to adj rig setup for the XL) this weekend on XL of wings and then fire up the LARGE for pizza!

Big Green Egg = BEST COOKING DEVICE EVER! 

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Another thing you can do with the AR is switch the grates very easily during the cook. They just slide in and out. You can't do that with a carraige bolt setup.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    Just priced my wish list AR, $300.

I feel like its all or nothing .
    Seattle, WA
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options

I got the adjustable rig set up for both the XL and L eggs and never looked back.  TOM is awesome and so helpful it'll make you wonder how you got along without the setups before.

I did FOUR bone in pork shoulders on the LARGE EGG by using the adjustable rig setup Tom recommended and I could not be happier with the results.  They were jammed in there pretty good but with the spider, the stone and the adjustable rig and two grids spaced apart (one top, one bottom) the added capacity just can't be replicated any other way except by buying another egg (which I plan to do anyway).  The steel is pretty thick and will hold up for a long time.

Can't wait to do THREE levels (thanks to adj rig setup for the XL) this weekend on XL of wings and then fire up the LARGE for pizza!

Big Green Egg = BEST COOKING DEVICE EVER! 

What's the set up to do 4butts ?
    Toronto
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    You could also buy an XL. That's what I went for because I wanted to be able to cook a lot when I wanted.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.