Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Any home coffee roasters?

About a year ago, I started home roasting my coffee in a Gene Cafe.  The results are unbelievable.  I'd put my coffee against any artisan roaster or coffee company you can find.  Anyone else here home roast?
Southern California

Comments

• I've roasted for years. Started with a modified popcorn popper and used that for a long time. SWMBO got me an iRoast2 and I used that up until about a year ago when I lost a piece to it. Haven't roasted since. I should just fire up the popper again but life has gotten busy. I miss it and agree there's no comparison.
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• chipman
    chipman Posts: 85
    I used to home roast. I too used the Gene Cafe.it provided good fresh roasted beans. But to say it produces the equal to the current artisan roasters may be stretching things. I stopped home roasting when I decided  the product i was getting was not close to what i could buy on the Internet.

The gene cafe is a good product, however  the replacement  of the heating element became a pain.  And now apparently the new distributor is not selling replacement parts to their customers.

I don't know if you participate in the coffee forums, but you might enjoy
    http://www.home-barista.com/

or http://coffeegeek.com/

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    My coworker roasts his own coffee. Great taste and has a lot of unique characteristics.
    Dunedin, FL
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    edited January 2014
    @chipman - Yeah, I participate in some of the forums.  Not too often though.  I've had the Gene Cafe for about a year now and have not had any problems with my heating element.  What exactly was the issue?  Surprised you didn't feel like you could match the quality of an artisan roaster.  I live in Los Angeles.  We've got a crazy amount of small roasters and artisan shops here, and I have yet to find one that beats out what I can do at home.  
    Southern California
  • mrdnks
    mrdnks Posts: 67
    I have had my Gene Cafe for about 4 years now. Roast coffee twice a week. I did have problems this summer, replaced the heater with no problem, the problem was it was not the heater. Sent it in and came back all fixed for no charge. Can't beat that!
  • chipman
    I've had my gene Cafe for 5-6 years. besides the replacing of the heating element (not really the biggest deal) The biggest problem I have is the lack of an adequate cooling system. If I were going to get back into home roasting (an I might) I would get nothing less than the Hot-top  programmable

http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/coffee-roasters/drum-roasters/hottop-roaster-basic.html

I hate to admit though, probably the most important reason I had for stopping was the more I learned about coffee and roasting, the more I realized I didn't know half as much as I thought I did. The fact I drink specifically espresso made it that much more difficult
  • I roast too.  My method is decidedly low tech.  I put the green beans in a frying pan and slowly roast them over a propane flame.  Once, I roasted in a mesh basket over the glowing embers of a hickory wood fire.  That was outstanding.  Now to figure out how to do it in the egg.....
  • chipman
    edited January 2014
    Not really possible on a BGE. Get that old Weber that is gathering dust and, walla!

http://www.instructables.com/id/BBQ-Coffee-Roasting/

• I have been roasting for a little over a year.  I recently switched to using the Behmor 1600 for a modified air popper.  I think what I can produce is better than what is available, even from local roasters... I might be jaded though.
    Pittsburgh, PA
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    chipman said:
    I've had my gene Cafe for 5-6 years. besides the replacing of the heating element (not really the biggest deal) The biggest problem I have is the lack of an adequate cooling system. If I were going to get back into home roasting (an I might) I would get nothing less than the Hot-top  programmable

http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/coffee-roasters/drum-roasters/hottop-roaster-basic.html

I hate to admit though, probably the most important reason I had for stopping was the more I learned about coffee and roasting, the more I realized I didn't know half as much as I thought I did. The fact I drink specifically espresso made it that much more difficult
    I'm not an espresso drinker, so don't know how the flavor nuances play out there.  Makes sense though.  I totally agree with you about the cooling process on the Gene Cafe; that's undoubtedly its weak point.  I've developed my own method of cooling to avoid using it.  I've also looked at the Hot Top.  Seems like an amazing machine.  If I've got the available cash, I'll get one when my Gene Cafe gives out.
    Southern California
  • I use the heat gun dog bowl method with great success. Probably the cheapest way to get into roasting. Only problem is that my dog doesn't really appreciate sharing his bowl.
    It's no coincidence that man's best friend can't talk.
  • chipman
    The more I have participated in this thread the bigger itch I'm getting to start roasting again! Damn you all. So much for that large BGE. Hot top here I come.