Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT/ OT/ OT///// Question on Calf SF/Big Sur area

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
Question on Calf SF/Big Sur area fog. Will doing that drive in early April be a bad time? Was told not to go till Aug as no fog problems??????????
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I don't know about April since we went in November.  Man, if you make it to Pacific Grove while you're there, stop by il vecchio.  That was some of the best Italian food i've had in a long time.  They don't have a freezer...everything is fresh.  My wife said the gnocchi were like little pillows of heaven.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Options
    Just drive it in the afternoon and you should be OK.

Living Large and XL

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    My experience is it will be foggy, then not, then foggy again, rinse and repeat.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    No matter when you go, The Restaurant at Ventana Inn, just south of Carmel is fabulous. The whole place is spectacular with cottages overlooking the Pacific. Pricey, but worth a treat.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    It's hard to say.. SF can be foggy any time if the year. Check half moon bay and Pacifica, even just going down highway 1 from those 2 destinations is really pretty.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I've driven in a fog before.. =))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    From The Bay south is a bit of a crap shoot for fog any time of year.
    I've seen terrifically foggy days in August down there.
    Just go ahead, do it, and keep your fingers crossed.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    edited January 2014
    Options

San Francisco can be foggy any time of the year. I'm a native So Cal'er and I've made my share of  trips up and down the coast. I would think April would be a beautiful time of the year. August can be blistering and you would have to deal with the summer tourists. Here's a couple of suggestions: While in SF you must see Alcatraz and buy tickets online ahead of time since they sell out. Definitely see the Monterey Peninsula (Pacific Grove, Monterey, and Carmel) Pacific Grove has wonderful places to stay. You might check to see when the Monarch butterfly migration is and try to be there around that time. The Monterey Bay Aquarium is a must. If your time allows continue down the coast from Big Sur to San Simeon and see Hearst Castle. The coast from Big Sur south is stunning. Just before you get to San Simeon make sure to stop at the elephant seal rookery it's quite the site. If you do make it this far south go a little farther to the town of Cambria, a small artist type town with lots of places to stay and great restaurants. From Cambria you can go inland to Paso Robles and return to SF via Hwy 101, not as scenic as the coast but faster and you'll see more of California. PM me with any questions. Sorry about the length of the post. 

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    Northern California = Heaven 

Personally, I prefer late October-November to April insofar as weather is concerned.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Look us up when you come out.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• SmoothSmoke
    Options
    You should be good to go in April.  Of course their is always a chance of fog here in Monterey at that time of year.  But for the most part it's very pleasant.  Definitely make it out to Pacific Grove and get up and close with the ice plants on Ocean View Blvd.  The foggiest time of the year is in the Summer mid June to late August.  Any other questions about Big Sur or Monterey, let me know man.  You can PM me if you'd like. 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Also.. the brewery on highway 1 is a nice place to grab a beer and go to the beach.