Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oakridge rubs

Options
SPRIGS
SPRIGS Posts: 482
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
Placed an order Monday and it showed up today. Very reasonable prices and the initial taste tests were very positive. Looking forward to this weekend- now I just have to decide what to cook.
XL BGE

Comments

• flexfusion
    Options
    Good stuff!  I use it all the time.  
    Auburn, Alabama
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I'm a fan of their Death Dust
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I really like their rubs - both flavor and price. Their Habanero Death Dust is fabulous on wings and a lot of other meats. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I don't see Death Dust.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SPRIGS
    Options
    I know - will be placing another order shortly. I like spicy but was concerned about just how spicy this is. Any comparisons to Swamp Vemon?
    XL BGE
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited January 2014
    Options
    SPRIGS said:

I know - will be placing another order shortly. I like spicy but was concerned about just how spicy this is. Any comparisons to Swamp Vemon?

It has some good heat to it but not too hot where it's not enjoyable. It's hotter than Swamp Venom.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    Oakridge BBQ and Dizzy Pig are the rubs I mostly use. Juat good stuff.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • cazzy
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    It has some good heat to it but not too hot where it's not enjoyable. It's hotter than Swamp Venom.
    Definitely hotter than Swamp Venom.  I've layered it on where it almost wasn't enjoyable.   :P
  • BGE Convert
    Options
    I have used several of the Oakridge rubs including their secret weapon brine mix....All are very good products....i especially enjoy the brine for us on pork tenderloins....also the death dust is significantly hotter than the DP swamp venom.....
  • SPRIGS
    Options
    I figured it would be hotter than Swamp Venom. I like to do my ribs with a light base layer of SV with a sweet rub over the top of that. If I get some Death Dust - sounds like I better use it sparingly!!!
    XL BGE
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Love their rubs as well.  Secret Weapon is killer on ribs. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    I have been hearing a lot about this Co. I may have to take the plunge.

XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    Used the chicken rub tonight from the sampler packet order and got a thumbs up from the wife.
    Will be adding this one to the order list
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    Options
    Death Dust makes swamp venom seem like sugar !

Santa Maria is the bomb on beef !
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Any of these you wouldn't recommend? Thinking about getting one of each.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    I've got them all and really like them. They are also great people to deal with.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Lit said:
    Any of these you wouldn't recommend? Thinking about getting one of each.
    I would start with the sampler pack.  The best one out there IMO.  it's $4.95 with free shipping and you get 5 of their blends.  Then, add some Death Dust if you like heat.

I bought Black Ops Brisket Rub and I'm not a huge fan of it...or I just didn't use enough.

• laserdoc85
    Options
    really liked the chicken rub on the bird last night. Will try the venison rub mix Sunday night.. Pizza planed tomorrow night
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg