Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chickens on the egg

Options
Initial cook so hoping for the best.

Comments

• r2davis65
    r2davis65 Posts: 148
    Options
    Two young Gamecocks with a little olive oil and chicken rub. Temp running between 259 - 275.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    How you doing it. The egg makes chicken amazingly good so I'm sure it will be great. Best of luck and welcome to the obsession.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • r2davis65
    Options
    Chickens are resting. No sure what I'll get when cut, but looks ok so far.
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    If you can pull a leg off they are done
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • r2davis65
    Options
    Newbie mistakes. Think I ran temp too low. Saw two schools of thought on temp - one for cooking at 250 and one for cooking at 350. I went for 250. Also placed temp probe in wrong place. Put in breast instead of between breast and leg. Pulled out at 165 reading and breast was good but dark meat not cooked. Put back in smoker and finished cooking dark meat. Breast was still good but dark was rubbery. Still learning.
  • nemo
    nemo Posts: 113
    Options
    I normally cook a spatchcock vs whole chicken. I cook them at 400 raised, direct, legs toward rear of BGE and pull when breast hits 170. Never have a problem. You may want to try spatchcocking next cook. Good luck.
    Fairview, Texas
  • r2davis65
    Options
    Will try the Spatchcock thing next time. Had planned to try it this time but changed my mind. Should have stuck with instincts.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited January 2014
    Options

No reason to go 250 on chickens. They don't benefit from the low and slow like a brisket or ribs. I cook mine anywhere from 350-400. Breasts are done at 160 (will carry over to 165 if you let them rest), I tend to like my dark meat a bit higher. 175-180 even.

Oh and congratulations on your new Egg and first cook. It will only get better from here on out.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Every cook is a learning eggsperience.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Chickens look awesome, but the smoky brown skin can be deceiving as far as doneness.

I do my chickens whole and indirect at 350.  have done them breast up on the cooking grate as well as standing up "beer can" method.  No difference in my opinion.  I do use a drip pan as you did.  Can't tell if you have a spacer between the plate setter and pan, but you should.  A lot of folks here swear by spatchcocking, I have tried and prefer the whole bird method - purely a personal choice.

Enjoy the ride!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • r2davis65
    Options
    Bob, dd not use spacer between plate setter and pan. What do you use?
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Ball up some foil balls. It doesn't take much. If you have some copper fittings laying around you can use those too. Like 1/2 tees or elbows.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    r2davis65 said:
    Bob, dd not use spacer between plate setter and pan. What do you use?
    Sorry for the very delayed response - have been away from the computer for many hours.  I bought a 3 ft piece of 1/2" aluminum angle at Home Depot, and cut it into pieces.  Total cost was under $5.  I originally planned to use copper fittings, but they were around $7 each.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY