Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chorizo Heaters

Hotch
Hotch Posts: 3,564

So I have been working on a few recipes. You may call them sliders, I call these Chorizo Meatloaf Heaters. We have some with Chipotle Adobo glaze, Pineapple Jalapeno glaze and Spicy Ketchup glaze. They were a big hit.

imageimage
Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
BGE Chiminea
Prosper, TX

Comments

• wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Looks great. Reminds me that I don't cook with sausage nearly enough.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • Hotch

Shameless bump.

Had someone ask me how I made all of the patties so here is the picture.

Pack it in a loaf pan. Freezer for 1 hour then sliced into 13 slices the each in half. Did not want to try and make these individually.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • What's the recipe for the meat loaf?
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Nice.  I try to incorporate chorizo into as many recipes as possible.  Last pizza I made was a chorizo one.  Delicious.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    At first, I thought this said "Chorizo Haters".
  • Hotch

It is really simple.

2lb 90/10 ground sirloin

1lb ground pork

10oz beef chorizo

1 cup bread crumbs, 2 eggs, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1 tbs smoked paprika, 1 tsp honey, 1 tbs minced garlic, 2 tbs oregano, 2 tbs chili powder, 1 1/2 tsps. salt and pepper each and dash lime juice.

Mix all in a bowl. Line loaf pan with cling wrap, load it up and cover with foil. Frezzer for about 1 hour to stiffen up. Then pop it out on to cutting board. Slice each piece at about 1/2 to 3/4 then each slice in half.

Egg indirect at 400 dome with drip pan for 15 min. then apply a glaze of choice, liberally. Cook till at least 165 in the center. Reapply a light glaze when pulled. Serve on sweet King Hawaiian rolls.

These did not last.

Pineapple Jalapeño was the winner of the 3 glazes.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch

Need to give the credit to the one I got it from.

The recipe came from a nice gentleman we met at the First Inaugural Athens Eggfest at the Texas State Freashwater Fisheries a couple of years ago. He had cooked up a chorizo meat loaf. We made a few tweaks. I simply went with the sliders so it would be easily served.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Nice! Very nice! Gotta try this one.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Hotch
    Griffin said:
    Nice! Very nice! Gotta try this one.
    Thanks Griff. Last night we had the leftovers and did them like burgers. Buns, ketchup, pickles and American cheese. Wow they were even better. I did the first run with naked patties and King rolls only. Next time we will have the Chipotle Adobo and spicy ketchups as added condiments to apply to the buns.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Those look great.  I love the sound of the recipe and the technique. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Acorn
    Acorn Posts: 163
    This does sound great, I'm trying them tonight.
    Thanks..........
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • Hotch
    Acorn said:
    This does sound great, I'm trying them tonight.
    Thanks..........
    Remember to create your glaze for the top and apply towards the end of the cook. Would you like the recipe of one of the glazes we used?
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Could you post the recipe for the Pineapple Jalapeño glaze ? and maybe the spicy ketchup.... 
  • Hotch
    Yes I will try this evening. Are in DFW area?
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    thanks...No sadly.... i am in New Mexico....
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    bookmarked and on my list!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Hotch

Here are the recipes for our Pineapple Jalapeno and Spicy Ketchup glazes as requested:

Pineapple Jalapeno

1/3 cup of Crushed Pineapple

1 tablespoon of diced jalapenos (we used the ones from a jar)

1 teaspoon of Honey

1/2 teaspoon soy sauce

pinch of salt

1 tablespoon of the jalapeno juice

Spicy Ketchup

1/3 cup Ketchup

1/2 teaspoon of Worcestershire Sauce

1 tablespoon of Brown Sugar

3/4 teaspoon of “Big Al’s Hell From Texas Rub

For either one - apply heavily halfway through the cook and reapply within 2 minutes of taking off the egg. Can also be used as a condiment on the buns.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX