Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Hardwood Recommendations

I have been buying BGE lump hardwood but have heard there are better less expensive options. Can anyone give me some recommendations and where to buy it??
XL BGE, BGE MINI MAX
GREAT WIFE, 2 GORGEOUS KIDS, & NO FREE TIME.....

Comments

• fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    edited December 2013
    Everyone has there own opinion on this.
    I've tried many kinds , but for the money and convenence Royal Oak in the red bag from Wal Mart is hard to beat .
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Where are you located? 

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Royal Oak is the EXACT same as BGE lump. Made by the same people at the same plant using the same wood. the only difference is price and bag. 

You will probably be happy with anything you try due to price. 

It's all lump and it all burns. Unless you are doing an overnight cook it really doesn't matter. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    edited December 2013
    I use Central Market lump from HEB. 

$12.99 for 20lbs and it's superior to BGE  and Royal Oak lump. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Ozark Oak or Rockwood
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Rockwood or Wicked for long cooks and when you don't mind the extra expense. Royal oak when the purse strings are tighter.
    Alan in LA (Lower Alabama that is)
    "If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!" 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Royal Oak for budget lump, Fogo is my "premium" of choice currently.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    edited December 2013
    Humphrey
    Mark Annville, PA
  • I've been using Grill Mark from Ace Hardware lately. 18 lb bag for $9.99.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Kroger lump is good, $5.50/8.8#. Home Depot then started carrying Royal Oak, so now that's my go to lump. I think it goes for $13/18#. Never had trouble doing low and slows with either.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Royal Oak, can't beat the price

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    edited December 2013
    Humphrey's . Once you go Humphrey's you'll never go back.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • I keep a bag of Wicked Good for when I am doing an overnight smoke as it just seems to hold temperature better for me and always has a couple monster pieces.  For cheaper lump I use Publix Brand (most convenient store for us by far) and haven't had any problems with it.  Always has some nice sized pieces in the bag.  Can't remember off the top of my head what it runs though but certainly cheaper than BGE or any of the other 'premiums'.
  •   

+  Is there a noticeable difference between RO mahe in Mexico vs. the United States? 

Thanks,
    Phil
  • I was using BGE lump and got tired of spending all that $$$$ so I tried a bag of Royal Oak  and didn't notice any difference then I come to find that Royal Oak makes BGE lump I buy Royal Oak at Wally world when on sale I pay $9.99 for a 17.6 pound bag that beats the hell out of like $35.00 for 20 pounds of BGE lump
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.