Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed Chicken Breast HORRIBLE

I did stuffed boneless, skinless, chicken breast last night that were HORRIBLE! I butterflied them, stuffed with green onion, pepper jack cheese, ham, mushrooms, then dusted with coffee rub . I then cooked direct at 375 dome  to 155-160 internal. I ate one,  the two Syberian Huskies ate the rest. I guess it was my turn to goof up because I have had some wonderful cooks lately.

Lenoir, N.C.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Why were they horrible?
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297

Not sure what the problem was, could you have used TOOO much coffee rub?

Here are some turkey thighs I did and also use the same method for chicken breasts, just smaller pieces of bird.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1236129&catid=1

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Did you have bacon. I think this is the best thing I cook.
    photo photo_zpsddbf809c.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    I do pound them so they are thin.
    photo photo_zpsf21b6079.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    They sound good to me.  What was it that you didn't like?  Dry?  Didn't like the combination of flavors?  

I'm with Mickey...next time just wrap em in bacon!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    I don't know what went wrong, I love the Coffee Rub, and everything I used to stuff with, but these had zero flavor and were kinda dry. I also know I should have used something that would have given more moisture such as bacon. Of course you can't go wrong with bacon! 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Mickey
    piney said:
    I don't know what went wrong, I love the Coffee Rub, and everything I used to stuff with, but these had zero flavor and were kinda dry. I also know I should have used something that would have given more moisture such as bacon. Of course you can't go wrong with bacon! 
    They need to be thin, not just a slit cut in them (IMO). HELL YES IT NEEDS THE BACON.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I think the bacon is key to keep it all moist.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • You could try brining for an hour or so, I think that if you brined them after flattening and before stuffing it would only take a little while for the brine to work.  Just a thought.  I like what you did though, sounds great.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • piney
    I think the only good thing I had going was Mickey's Coffee Rub! I really needed bacon.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    If yours were dry, I would think they were overcooked.  I do stuffed chicken breasts, usually ham and swiss, have done them on the egg, and they are great.  

I do dip them in an egg wash and then bread crumbs before cooking (on foil as I don't want to lose any filling).  And I always serve them with a sauce which would mitigate any dryness.  My current favorite sauce for this uses cream of chicken soup, sour cream, white wine, and some sage and thyme.  This is not a traditional 'Q recipe, but is really good, and a little smoke from the egg really adds.

Of course bacon would be great too, I have not wrapped with it, though I have included in the stuffing.  

Lots of ideas here, try again, your next cook will surely be better.

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • piney
    Thanks Bob, I won't give up! I look at this as a challenge, I might even beg you out of your recipe. I just goofed this time, I am sure we all have at one time or another... but, i will do better.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Mickey
    Piney give it another shot
    photo photo_zps4648a48f.jpg

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Precook your filling. 165 in the center means your chicken was probably way past 165. Don't ask how I know.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • piney

Thats it Mickey those look great! I am doing a couple Boston Butts tonight I promise I will do better and send pics.

Lenoir, N.C.
  • Mickey
    photo photo_zpsc6303631.jpg

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    Plenty of good advice above. I did this recently, indirect around 350-400F, very juicy, the bacon helped big time as we all know!

canuckland
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Good inspiration from this thread. I planned on cooking chicken cordon bleu one night, but didn't have Swiss or ham, so I improvised with cheddar, no ham, and some smoked paprika/chili powder on the inside. I rolled the outside in bread crumbs too. Served it with the traditional cream sauce and it was awful! Tasted like tex mex chicken gone wrong! I suppose it just shocked my taste buds since it wasn't cordon bleu. Bacon and pounding thin sounds like good ideas!
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Of course, there is nothing wrong with some bacon added to Chicken Cordon Bleu. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Rather than pounding, I just take a whole breast and gently butterfly it, fill it up with whatever, then secure with some string.  It comes out really well for me.imageimage
    Milton, GA.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Here's the ones I did last summer.  Reading my old post, I did them raised direct @ 350 for 40 minutes.  Topping was mayo followed by panko bread crumbs.  Stuffed with ham Jarlsburg, and bacon.  I could put quite a few on my XL!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • HNL
    HNL Posts: 31
    I wrap with proscuitto also as an alternative to bacon.  Has always turned out great for me.