Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wifi router

All you computer pros I have a question. I have a brick home and need to know what kind of router I should get to get the best signal for my Stoker which will be on a porch.
Easley SC Go! Tigers

Comments

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    I'm sure you will get all kinds of opinions....at rightly so.   I'll go first.  I have had great experience with Apple's Airport Extreme BaseStations.   I have 3 in my house and have setup similar WiFi networks in 4 of my friends'  houses...all with more than AEBS.  Easy to setup and really just works.  Oh yea, I also have a Stoker so no worries on connection there. 

Good luck
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Look for one that has "beaming" capabilities.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I have a Netgear up in my office and and then a plugged in booster in the living room for jacking the signal on the deck for egging
  • Jeffroe189
    Jeffroe189 Posts: 273
    edited December 2013
    +1 on the Apple. I have a Time Machine its the same as the Extreme but with a hard drive to back up my computer. My father in law can pick up signal 400+ feet at his house. My house is also brick, I have mine hooked up in the basement and have great wireless all over my house. Plus like 4runner said they are super easy to set up.

Hope this helped.
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone
  • Kruegs
    Kruegs Posts: 128
    Anyone use the Apple AirPort Extreme with the CyberQ wifi?
    XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin
  • I have no experience with any Apple product in the last 15 years personally. However my parents and brothers swear by it and I don't see why anyone that isn't interested in simplicity using it. I personally have used D-Link brand routers for a while and haven't had any problems but am looking to get a new router come tax time to hopefully expand my range as well. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • I own the AirPort Extreme and it is awesome. I don't have experience with the cyber q wifi.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    My router is in the basement which is the worst place for coverage in a home.  Second floor is the best place for a wireless router if you have the connection there.

I recently installed an ASUS RT-N66 based on strong reviews online.  It has 3 external antennas which I thought would give better coverage than an internal antenna.  I now have coverage through the whole house as well as the patio from my basement office.  It also has good administrative tools.
    Product Details
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • NautiRogue
    NautiRogue Posts: 118
    edited December 2013
    You ask about a "router," but I'm assuming you're specifically asking about the access point function as that is the part that provides the signal that your Wi-Fi device will connect to.  I have a Netgear ProSafe WNDAP360 that I've installed on the main level of a two story house.  It's brick on the front facade but vinyl sided on the back where the BGE is located on our back patio.  The AP is mounted under the kitchen cabinets over a kitchen desk area which is pretty much centrally located in the house.  (The house was originally wired with Cat 5 throughout.)  In this location, I get full coverage on both above-grade levels of the house, across the back patio, and throughout the basement with the single AP.

As for the router, I use a Netgear UTM5.  It's a router/firewall that provides Web antivirus, SMTP antivirus, content filtering, and VPN functionality, as well as standard firewall and routing functionality.  I have it configured to port forward to the CyberQ Wi-Fi and http redirect for my remote access.

Both of these network devices are SOHO products and are higher quality than standard residential products.  They're a little more expensive than home products, but they do the job well!
  • This is my favorite router. I don't recommend it for use with the egg though. :D

Mark Annville, PA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Cookinbob said:

My router is in the basement which is the worst place for coverage in a home.  Second floor is the best place for a wireless router if you have the connection there.

I recently installed an ASUS RT-N66 based on strong reviews online.  It has 3 external antennas which I thought would give better coverage than an internal antenna.  I now have coverage through the whole house as well as the patio from my basement office.  It also has good administrative tools.
    Product Details
    The Dark Knight is a solid router. I have the AC version of it and it's just as good as my old N version. Stable as can be, good range, and you can run custom firmware.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • I use a linksys e4200 in my basement and my cyberq picks it up on the deck with no probs...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I added one of these to my network since my Asus rt-n16 router was not broadcasting a strong enough signal from my office (downstirs, in one corner) to the upstairs den/tv room.

It works amazingly well. So well, that all my devices hook up to the extender instead of the router now. Streaming media finally became stutter-free.

The extender is upstairs, diagonally opposite the downstairs router in the office, and on the far side from the yard and patio. I still get good signal outside. If I set up an extender downstairs, all of my neighbors could probably  stream their media too.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I also have the ASUS- RT-N66 and love it.  The range in fantastic and the administrative tools exceed my needs.
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Cookinbob said:

Product Details
    Ditto - stucco and plaster house and the ASUS RT-N66 covers everything.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Thanks everyone this gives me what I should look for.
    Easley SC Go! Tigers
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited December 2013
    Cookinbob said:

Product Details
    Same here.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.