Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: My First Sausage Making

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Off topic, but just got my grinder and stuffer this week, Kitchener from Northern Tool. I got the #12 grinder and the 5# vertical stuffer.

I did "Brian's Holiday Kielbasa, Wiejska" from Charcuterie. Cubed and mixed the pork shoulder and seasonings yesterday, last night washed everything well and put all the metal meat contact parts in the freezer to chill. First thing this morning got started. This grinder and stuffer work great, cleanup took longer than grinding, mixing, and stuffing.

No action shots as I wanted to work as quickly as possible and started this while the rest of the house was still in bed.

This is a fresh sausage, wanted something simple for my first try.

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    That looks great! I want to try this again after I get a dedicated sausage stuffer. My first attempt was with the stuffing attachment that came with my grinder. It just created alot of extra work, but even then it was worth it.

Congrats!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

That is awesome!! Nicely done. Let us know how they taste when you cook them.

Once you get the process down, it seems like cleanup becomes the longest and hardest part. I try and make it worth my while by doing large batches at one time. Say 10 pounds. How much was that?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Very nice. No reason to OT this.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    Options

Nice job, looks good.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Thanks for sharing..still have not done this.
    Seattle, WA
  • DMW
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    @jtippers If you are looking for a stuffer, this one worked well and wasn't too expensive.

@Griffin This was only about 3 1/4 pounds. I figured a small batch would be the way to start. Next time I will definitely do more. I want to try smoked sausage next, and eventually salumi once I have a curing chamber setup.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

If you do get a stuffer with plastic/nylon type gears, make sure replacement parts are available. Metal is the way to go and worth spending the extra dollars for.

I'd love to have a curing chamber set up. Jealous of the people who can just hang stuff in their basements. Not an option in Dallas. Maybe someday I can fabricate something up...

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• DMW
    Options
    @Griffin I'm planning to use an old refrigerator with an external temp and humidity controller. Ideally I'd like to find a fridge without a freezer as the freezer would be wasted space. I think a beverage type fridge with glass doors would be kind of cool.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    that is awesome! sausage is hands-down my favorite food on the planet!  
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    Looks good. I hope to get a grinder and stuffer soon. I got some venison that needs to be made into sausage.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• DMW
    Options
    Ok, I personally would cut the amount of garlic in that recipe by 1/2 or 3/4. It tasted really good, but I'm being reminded of it 3 hours later...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options

Check this company out. I bought products from them in the past and it is very good quality. They have a lot of sausage making stuff.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/

Milton, GA.