Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Bday present was an Egg!

Options
Hi everyone, this will actually be my first post here. Im 30 years old and from Belgium, i received a Small egg for my birthdaypresent from my friends. At first i was doubting to trade it in for a bigger size but now the decision is made, im gonna learn how to use it first and i can always expand later! I'm currently ordering all sort of accessoires for my egg but since i'm in europe and it's nearly the end of the year i think i ll have to be patient till next year to get everything i want; here s a short list of what i'm about to order; 2 times charcoal 2 times charcoal starters Jack daniels chips, apple chips Plate setter small Pizza stone medium (seems to fit a small egg?) Ashtool Grill gripper Cast iron cooking grid Pizza peel Small v rack Cicken keramic roaster Vertical chicken roaster Thermometer to plug into meat Are there any things i forget? Or things i shouldnt get? Thank u for allowing me on this forum, i ll be very happy with all the beginner tips u can give me :) Greetings from Antwerp Belgium !
New to the Eggworld from Antwerpen - Belgium

Comments

• Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I would save your money on the starters, there's much cheaper ways to start your egg.

Congrats on your egg too.
    HFX NS
  • Azzardi
    Options
    Go for an electronical starter then ?
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    go for a Mapp gas torch for lighting the egg
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Nsdexter
    Options
    Azzardi said:
    Go for an electronical starter then ?
    I use cooking oil and paper towel. cheap and always on hand
    HFX NS
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Welcome, and you have some great friends!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Azzardi
    Options
    So like in a video i already saw? Kitchen paper and olive oil? ... The mapp gas torch i dont know, looked it up on google pictures tough. Thanks for the tip !
  • Nsdexter
    Options
    yeah all I do is put some oil in a bowl and grab some paper towel, wrap it like a bow tie, dip it in the oil, put three or four in and around the pit ( for a large you'd likely get away with one or two) and lastly light them on fire and away we go.
    HFX NS
  • Azzardi
    Options
    Nsdexter said:
    yeah all I do is put some oil in a bowl and grab some paper towel, wrap it like a bow tie, dip it in the oil, put three or four in and around the pit ( for a large you'd likely get away with one or two) and lastly light them on fire and away we go.

awesome ! Thanks !
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Welcome to the lifestyle!

Do a search for spatchcock chicken... a lot of us do chicken that way and no roaster or stand is required.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Slow down man, no reason to completely break the bank.  Accessories are part of the fun for sure but no reason to jump completely off the cliff.  Everybody has their own preferences on what accessories to use to accomplish said results. Of the things on your list the only things I see as "must haves" are charcoal, the ash tool, and a good instant read thermometer.  You do need a means to do indirect which is what the plate setter accomplishes but there are other ways to do that as well.

Now everything on your list has it's purpose but not sure if you would actually use it all consistently. I would definitely get a pizza stone, but I'm not sure if you would be cooking many pizzas that would fit on the small.

Are there going to be multiple occasions that you will be entertaining lot's of people? If  you are going to be "grilling" for more then 5-6 people consistently or smoking roasts for more then 12-15 people consistently I would seriously think about going trading up for a medium before you invest so much in a cooker.

Not trying to bash the small, I have one and I love it.  But if you are going to be consistently preparing meals meant for more then 3-4 people to enjoy in one sitting I would go for a larger size.  If when serving others you are o.k. eating at different times then sitting together the small will be a wonderful thing for you.

Congrats on the new cooking device.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Goedendag en welkom. Wij wensen u veel success met uw nieuwe speeltje.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

I agree with the "pace yourself" approach. A reliable thermometer is important - up to you whether you spring for the Thermapen or the cheaper Thermoworks RT600c. About the rest, play around with your egg for some time to figure out what accessories you think you really want, depending on what you cook. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Weclome aboard and enjoy the journey!  And you have most eggcellent friends!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Azzardi
    Options
    caliking said:

Welcome aboard!

I agree with the "pace yourself" approach. A reliable thermometer is important - up to you whether you spring for the Thermapen or the cheaper Thermoworks RT600c. About the rest, play around with your egg for some time to figure out what accessories you think you really want, depending on what you cook. 

What thermometer would you really really advice ? Keeping in mind I most likely will order in Europe (might not have the same ones?)
  • Azzardi
    Options

Slow down man, no reason to completely break the bank.  Accessories are part of the fun for sure but no reason to jump completely off the cliff.  Everybody has their own preferences on what accessories to use to accomplish said results. Of the things on your list the only things I see as "must haves" are charcoal, the ash tool, and a good instant read thermometer.  You do need a means to do indirect which is what the plate setter accomplishes but there are other ways to do that as well.

Now everything on your list has it's purpose but not sure if you would actually use it all consistently. I would definitely get a pizza stone, but I'm not sure if you would be cooking many pizzas that would fit on the small.

Are there going to be multiple occasions that you will be entertaining lot's of people? If  you are going to be "grilling" for more then 5-6 people consistently or smoking roasts for more then 12-15 people consistently I would seriously think about going trading up for a medium before you invest so much in a cooker.

Not trying to bash the small, I have one and I love it.  But if you are going to be consistently preparing meals meant for more then 3-4 people to enjoy in one sitting I would go for a larger size.  If when serving others you are o.k. eating at different times then sitting together the small will be a wonderful thing for you.

Congrats on the new cooking device.

Wow thank you for your post, you're probably right about all the extra's, it s just that i'm so excited to get started :D

The things i'm sure of are the plate setter, the grill and the pizza stone (30cm is pretty ok for a pizza?) the thermometer as well i suppose but not sure about wich one i shoulf get, and off course the coals.

By the ash tool you mean the little poke to remove the ashes i think?

I love cooking for friends indeed but i also still have a large gasbbq, i might wanna learn on this egg first and try it out and maybe buy a 2nd bigger one later... Who knows thanks for your reply it makes me think twice before ordering ;)
  • Azzardi
    Options

Goedendag en welkom. Wij wensen u veel success met uw nieuwe speeltje.

Dankuwel :)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    You really only need a place setter and thermapen to start. Wait till you see a need otherwise you might end up with a bunch of eggcessories you don't need. Thermapen is a must.

Welcome and keep the pics coming.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    For a thermometer, the Thermapen is the consensus winner around here, there, and everywhere. They are made in England so I suspect continental Europe would be privy to it as well.

Welcome. Your friends are awesome people. No wonder your country makes such good beer. Those monks must be walking on sunshine.
  • pkaboo1
    pkaboo1 Posts: 115
    Options

Thermapen a must, Thermometer, a way to monitor the internal temp of your meat,a must.

I would get a plateseter.

Easy does it with the wood for smoking. Smoke is not always your friend, some types

are really not your friend, depending on the meat.

A way to raise the grid above the felt line.

That's all to start.

Welcome to the the world of Eggheads.

Enjoy the ride.

Snellville,Ga.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I would say don't get a plate setter get a woo from theceramicgrillstore.com and you can put your pizza stone under it to go indirect. The woo is a must have for the small to raise the grate to the felt line. If you get a full grate of burgers its a pain to flip them cooking below the felt line. Here's a link to the woo you can also order the pizza stone here and save on shipping hopefully. http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/products/Small-Woo-Ring.html
  • pkaboo1
    Options

You see, lots of help. Go slow.

What do you like to cook, and how, smoked, baked, grilled.

I like to smoke some things, bake some, and grill others.

Play with it, then see what need.

Snellville,Ga.
  • pkaboo1
    Options

You need, sorry.

Time to go to bed.

Snellville,Ga.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Welkom bij regio Midlothian biedt, Virginia (U.S.A. ).

Did I say that right?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Lit - shipping a woo to Belgium could be pricey.

@Azzardi - Thermoworks will ship internationally, but again shipping may be expensive. Best to contact them and check prices. Thermapen or the RT600c may even be available locally if you look around. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited December 2013
    Options
    @Azzardi,
    Welcome, Thermapen is manufactured by ETI in UK, they have a distributor in Belgium:
    canuckland
  • j_beau
    j_beau Posts: 14
    Options
    welcom to the group
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
  • Azzardi
    Azzardi Posts: 56
    edited December 2013
    Options
    First of all thank you for all your warm friendly comments towards a total noob like me :D The 'thermapen', is it a brands name or a term? ( like a car, or a mercedes sl.. If u understand what i mean). I ll look it up where i can find one and what it does. I must admitt i never ever used a thermometer in my cooking carreer so i guess i ll just have to learn how to use it, so far i grilled solo by trying, failing and trying again... I found a webshop that sells the BGE accessoires http://www.thuisshop.be/barbecue/biggreenegg/big-green-egg-accessoires.html The prices are by far the lowest as i could find around here in the area
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Thermapen is a thermometer sold by Thermoworks in the US.

I'd say it's a Mercedes SLS.
  • Azzardi
    Options
    Ok i found it in the internet, but doesnt that mean u have to make 'holes' into your meat, alsays tought that wasn't ideal for losing juices/blood etc..