Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket finally. And fancy, smanchy olive oil

Options
Checked the briskets ar Sam's and they were priced $2.48 lb fir choice. Grabbed a 15 lb packer. Once again the butcher didn't know what a packer is.

Stopped by an olive oil store.. Picked up italian herb infused evo and 25 year fermented balsamic vinegar. I'll definitely go back... The jalapeño infused was great. At $22 per bottle I'll wait a while.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    Can you really call someone employed in the meat department of any big box retailer anymore a "butcher"?  About the only thing that I've seen them do in the last few years is cut steaks and chops off of roasts and loins.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    True. Maybe it's a Texas term unknown elsewhere. Publix was the same way.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    henapple said:
    Checked the briskets ar Sam's and they were priced $2.48 lb fir choice. Grabbed a 15 lb packer. Once again the butcher didn't know what a packer is. Stopped by an olive oil store.. Picked up italian herb infused evo and 25 year fermented balsamic vinegar. I'll definitely go back... The jalapeño infused was great. At $22 per bottle I'll wait a while.

We always have good olive oil and aged balsamico around. Pricey but so worth it. Only use the good stuff for dipping bread and sometimes a couple of drops to accent an expensive protein. I use it on quail sometimes.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    I asked the guys in the meat dept. at Costco (in Franklin,Tn) to cut the loins and tenderloins out of some Australian lamb saddles that they saw into loin chops and they were pleased to do it. They charged me the same as the chops and I kept the bones for stock. For the "oddball stuff" like pork bellies, kidneys and such, I have pretty good luck at the Mexican meat markets.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,753
    Options
    Don't forget pics when you cook it.

If you like olive oil, there's a great little shop in Salado (can't remember the name, but @Mickey surely knows it) that had a large selection of flavored olive oils and balsamic vinegar. Pretty good stuff. We are definitely going to stock up when we go to Salado next March.

Also, the cheap way to make grocery store balsamic vinegar taste fancier is to boil it until it is reduced by 30%-50% of its original volume, and maybe add a touch of sugar. The consistency becomes syrupy and the flavor is concentrated. We love balsamic on caprese salad, but don't always spring for the pricey balsamic. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    caliking said:

If you like olive oil, there's a great little shop in Salado (can't remember the name, but @Mickey surely knows it) that had a large selection of flavored olive oils and balsamic vinegar. Pretty good stuff. We are definitely going to stock up when we go to Salado next March.

Also, the cheap way to make grocery store balsamic vinegar taste fancier is to boil it until it is reduced by 30%-50% of its original volume, and maybe add a touch of sugar. The consistency becomes syrupy and the flavor is concentrated. We love balsamic on caprese salad, but don't always spring for the pricey balsamic. 
    Forgot all about the Caprese salad. Off to get some Buffalo Bocconcini now.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,677
    Options
    caliking said:

Thanks. I have never tried but sure will now. Just as I was reading this at work (I don't work very hard) a chef walked by and I ask her about your reduction. She said she always does it. Thanks
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• HDumptyEsq
    Options
    A drop of Port, Marsala or Madiera added to the reduction is genius. A couple tablespoons of blackberry jam is good too.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited December 2013
    Options
    A drop of Port, Marsala or Madiera added to the reduction is genius. A couple tablespoons of blackberry jam is good too.

That sounds like a brilliant sauce for duck!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    We have an olive oil boutique near us... The stuff is fantastic...

Good luck with the packer. Looking forward to seeing your cook.
  • HDumptyEsq
    Options

Or a drizzle for pork chops.............

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Or a drizzle for pork chops.............

Or licked off of the floor.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Or right out of the fruit jar :))

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    There is a place downtown that imports OO and balsamic. I believe they ship as well. Unbelievable!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Anyone in GA there is a cool little olive oil/balsamic shop called Gabbys olive branch in Cumming. They have an olive oil called Barnes that's really good and their 18 year balsamic is also really good. The balsamic is expensive but I don't use near as much since the flavor is so strong.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Looks like @HENAPPLE's  thread got baslamic-jacked. :-O

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• laserdoc85
    Options
    Lit said:
    Anyone in GA there is a cool little olive oil/balsamic shop called Gabbys olive branch in Cumming. They have an olive oil called Barnes that's really good and their 18 year balsamic is also really good. The balsamic is expensive but I don't use near as much since the flavor is so strong.
    Where in cumming ? I'm over that way tomorrow morning for a doctor appt.
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Lit
    Options
    West on exit 13 about a half mile on the left in one of the little plazas. You can taste everything which is nice. Here's the website http://gabbysolivebranch.com/site/1531351115c0455eb3ed13674d52121c/home?url=http://gabbysolivebranch.com/#3128. Henapple that brisket on yet?
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,753
    Options
    Here is one of the items we bought in Salado last year:

We bought a couple of bottles of olive oil as well. My sister picked up a few too. The proprietress was very nice, and helped us sample several different oils and balsamics. They have samples of every item they sell. May not be super high-brow, but its tasty stuff, and you support a local merchant.

For the caprese lovers, Costco sells an imported bufala mozzarella - 4-5 tennis ball size balls for about $12. Not quite burrata, but close, and it is quite good. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    The Texas "butchers" don't know what a packer is either.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Lit
    Options
    A friend of mine goes to the same butcher all the time and I went in with him one day and he took us back and showed us how to remove a tri tip from the whole sirloin. He was telling us how there are pretty much no real butchers anymore that all these butchers just cut up primals. He said butchers have been gone since the late 1990's when some regulation was passed where the FDA has to routinely inspect your shop if you want to process whole animals.