Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cowboy lump and rocks

Options
Half a bag and a lot of rocks
XL BGE

Comments

• Seanr7
    Seanr7 Posts: 207
    Options
    BGE, nor Royal Oak has this much combined in the two other bags I've gone through.
    XL BGE
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Nice rock collection. Maybe pack them up and mail them back?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

Nice rock collection.

Maybe pack them up and mail them back?

I would... That's a few too many.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Looks like their kiln is fallin apart big time.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Get some Ozark Oak or Rockwood
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Seanr7
    Options
    I think I'll keep a few buckets for rocks and see which lump has the most junk in it.
    XL BGE
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    i have been happy with Rockwood... on my 5th bag and only 1 foreign object so far...just one small rock. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I, too, have found rocks in Cowboy.  Royal Oak?  Nah!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I find rocks in royal oak all the time. Not that many but every time I clean out an egg no matter what lump I use I find rocks.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    When SWMBO was cleaning up her flowers for fall she noticed rocks in the pot closest to my egg. She says want me to leave this one for your rock collection? Mostly RO and yes she left one with dirt and nothing else for my collection. :)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,687
    Options
    i have been happy with Rockwood... on my 5th bag and only 1 foreign object so far...just one small rock. 

Just one?!?!?!  I'll have to add some extras next time for you.  Why do you think we call it Rockwood?     BAHWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.    =))

• plumbfir01
    Options
    rocks are easy....plastics are something i dont want burning in my egg though
    Beaufort, SC
  • Texansurf
    Options
    I have quit using cowboy lump because of the amount of rocks. I can understand a few things getting in but this looks like a way to sell rocks to me. This is also why I don't dump the lump from the bag. It's a little messier but no need to dump rocks on my egg.
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • revolver1
    Options
    I've found rocks and other stuff in just about every brand I've tried.  IMO it's expected, not a surprise.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • Seanr7
    Options
    Rocks are not a surprise, a quarry in my bag is a surprise.
    XL BGE
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,687
    Options

Anything that could have been fastened, shot, wedged, wrapped, etc. into a tree is fair game for lump charcoal.  The tree grows around that stuff and forms a knot.  You don't find that prize until that knots burns away.

Rocks come from the loaders the scraping the trees off the forest floor......no avoiding those.  A char dust covered rock looks just like a chunk of charcoal in the bagger.

The only unnatural things that can come out of the manufacturing process that I ask for a pass on is the metal banding.  That's what holds the slabs together when they're loaded in the kiln.  They can break apart from all the heat and make their way into the bags.

The only way to get charcoal that's 100% the same every time w/o rocks and such is to buy briquettes.  They manufactured in a machine the exact same, every time.

• j_beau
    j_beau Posts: 14
    Options
    I just purchased 2 bags of cowboy lump. I am interested to see what extras are in the lump.......
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I've yet to find anything negative in Maple Leaf.  Don't think everyone can get it but it's great.  The only problem is that I didn't stock up before it got cold.  Now I am going to have to try to find some since it's apparently no longer "barbecue season" in some peoples mind.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I have used nothing but OO and RW for the last 6 months with no surprises yet. But I only found 1 big rock in 5yrs of using BGE and Royal Oak. Cowboy is cowboy any review I have ever read hasn't been very stellar but I can't comment on experience because I haven't burned it.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Teedoff
    Options
    The first bag of RO I tried, I found a big wad of what looked like white insulation. I have been skeptical of it ever since. I try to avoid Cowboy after all the mediocre reviews here. So I end up using Kroger lump. One because I'm cheap and two it has worked surprisingly well for me so far.
    Decatur, AL
  • revolver1
    Options
    I've found rocks and other stuff in just about every brand I've tried.  IMO it's expected, not a surprise.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Teedoff said:
    The first bag of RO I tried, I found a big wad of what looked like white insulation. I have been skeptical of it ever since. I try to avoid Cowboy after all the mediocre reviews here. So I end up using Kroger lump. One because I'm cheap and two it has worked surprisingly well for me so far.
    My brother had that happen to a couple bags of his.  He called and emailed pictures of what he found and they reimbursed him for the bags.  They claimed that some of the insulation they use to cool down the kiln.  We just bought 8 bags of OO and 6 bags of RW.  Have not found any foreign yet.  Plus we wanted to see if we can tell a difference in the #1 and #2 rated charcoals.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options

The only unnatural things that can come out of the manufacturing process that I ask for a pass on is the metal banding.  That's what holds the slabs together when they're loaded in the kiln.  They can break apart from all the heat and make their way into the bags.

I'm glad you said that.  I found a couple metal bands in a bag of Natural Glo and I thought maybe it came from them "recycling a home".  Gave me bad vibes.  None the less, I probably will stick with RR or OO.  If I could convince him to carry one or the other in store I would just stick with that.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Little Steven
    Options
    gmac said:
    I've yet to find anything negative in Maple Leaf.  Don't think everyone can get it but it's great.  The only problem is that I didn't stock up before it got cold.  Now I am going to have to try to find some since it's apparently no longer "barbecue season" in some peoples mind.
    Where are you located?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Alphonse
    Options
    Help a newbie with the acronyms, who is OO and RR?  

I bought a sack of Cowboy at Lowes and it was 50% powder and very small chips.  I will not be buying any more of it.  

Alan in LA (Lower Alabama that is)
    "If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!" 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    OO - Ozark Oak
    RW - Rockwood
    RO - Royal Oak

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.