Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Egg Temp for Boston Butt / Pulled Pork?

Options
BGE Rookie here but from a family of incredible kamado cookers.  I am trying to pick up a few things so I can enjoy the greatness at home and hopefully carry on the tradition.  I have been cooking my butts at 225-250 egg temp but I have seen lots of folks swearing by cooking at 300 or more.  The first couple butts I did came out a little dry which is surprising on the egg - still tasted great but a little drier than the rest of my family makes them.  What is the advantage of cooking at 225 vs. 250 vs. 300?  Thank you for your help!  Here is what I have been doing:

Rubbing w/Byron's Butt Rub then slathering with Mustard
Cooking at 225 egg temp on one (250 on the other)
Spraying with apple juice throughout to get a good bark (drip pan underneath with water, apple juice)
Taking off at 190 internal temp and wrapping until ready to pull/eat

David
Atlanta, GA
Large BGE w/BBQ Guru & Compact Wood Table

Comments

• cortguitarman
    Options
    Mark Annville, PA
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    I would say it depends on your schedule. If you have plenty of time go for the low and slow. If you are in a time crunch you want to turbo. Some say they get the same results either way. I cook all of mine low and slow. It's personal preference. I pull between 195-200 then FTC.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    I go 250 to 275
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I am in the hot n fast camp, 350* all the way thru no foil. Really like the texture of the bark and it is still way juicy and tender.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    275-300. I cant tell the difference between that and 225 other than it doesnt take as long.

Little Rock, AR

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    The reason they have been dry is you are not cooking long enough.  Taking them off at 190 is too soon, no matter what temp you cook at.  Check at 200 - 205 and if the bone pulls out you are done.  I've cooked them any where from 225 to 350.  Lately have been doing Turbo (350 Egg until IT is 165, the wrap in foil an put back on until IT is 205)
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Instead of pulling at 190, make sure a probe moves through like butter and/or the bone pulls clean. This can occur anywhere from 190-205+. Too soon and it can seem dry.

The temp quandary is really only about time. I find temps on the lower end are a bit more moist than "turbo" temps but it is not really discernable to most.
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Have done butts both ways...low and slow 250 dome, indirect till 195/200 int, wrapped in HD foil and towels in a cooler till ready to pull. Never had a butt get dry..Tried the "turbo butt" 350 indirect till 160 int then foiled and back on the egg till 200 int. Only difference i found was that the bark gets soft with the turbo method but the butt could be pulled with your fingers, very tender and moist. Next butt will be done turbo and I won't foil at 160...worth a try. Butts are very forgiving...eggsperiment.   :)>-

Opelika, Alabama
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I go 325 till 160, foil till tender.. Not temp. Usually go to 205.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DrMitchell
    Options
    Thank you! I will let it rock a while longer and check the probe/bone pull in/out smoothly.
    Atlanta, GA
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    I do them Turbo (350 Egg until IT is 165, the wrap in foil an put back on until IT is 205).  Everyone always love them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • jbreed
    jbreed Posts: 98
    Options
    i do indirect at both @225 and @350.  i found no difference.  I go indirect, have a raised foil tub underneath with apple juice or beer or kids juice box and that keeps it moist.  I do some with mustard on outside, some without.  the constant is the small amount of liquid underneath
    Castle Rock, CO - always a Husker
  • DrMitchell
    Options
    Thanks again guys!  I let it ride to 195-200 when the thermo was like butter in & out and the butts were juicy and delicious!  I previously thought the higher the temp got the more dry it would be but this is obviously not true for the butt.  Thanks for helping another beginner out!  These butts took 20+ hours due to the freezing temps but turned out great.  Started low and slow but had to kick it up to 300-350 to get it done in time for turkey day and these were the best I have done yet.  Thank you!
    Atlanta, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Money muscle looks awesome on the left one. Nice job.
  • trasky
    trasky Posts: 5
    Options
    Ok so I attempted my first Boston Butt last light. Egg was up to temp at 250 for about an hour when I got it settled in around 11:30 - woke up at 6 and the egg was at 150....obviously I got a while to go but did I miss something on the setup in order to keep it at 250?
    Middleboro, MA - BGE Large w/ wood table - Plate Setter - Pizza Stone
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Did you run out of lump?
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • trasky
    Options
    No actually I was able to get it back to 250 by opening the top up a little more
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Good to go then. Let it cook. Don't know who ever came up with the turbo thing but 250 is the max for me with a button even in a competition.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    For me there's a difference, 250 is right on. Turbo does not come out the same, its good enough but not the same.
    Seattle, WA
  • trasky
    Options
    Just wanted to update my post with a picture....
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Each person has their own method of course, however I do a pseudo turbo method most times. 

Normally go 325-350° till around 180° internal.  Back down a little to around 250-275° for the remainder until 205° internal. 

The reason I do this is to let the connective tissue (which at 180° is when it starts to break down) go for a longer duration.  My theory is, the longer the more tissue breaks down.  Now, this isn't scientifically proven that this makes or breaks the butt, but its what I do, and we like it. 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site