Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

turkey v rack placement

Options
New egg owner and doing my first turkey. Decided to use Kevin Rathbun recipe off egg site, http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/smoked-turkey/ . Have a question regarding the vrack placement. The recipe says to put the v rack in the drip pan and then the drip pan on the place setter. Am I reading this correctly that the grid is not used and is the reason that it lowers the bird due to the extra height the v rack gives? Also, my drip pan is the cheap aluminum type. Do I need to set some nuts or other objects under drip pan so the surface area is not as large sitting on the place setter?

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,580
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Congrats and welcome to the egg cult!

Yes, I do turkey mad max style, platesetter legs up, no grid, elevate pan with copper plumbing tees/elbows.  Others mentioned to position the p/s in a "Y" position when viewed from the front, then have legs pointed towards the back so they get 'more' heat than the breast.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    canuckland
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited November 2013
    Options
    shughes said:
    New egg owner and doing my first turkey. Decided to use Kevin Rathbun recipe off egg site, http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/smoked-turkey/ . Have a question regarding the vrack placement. The recipe says to put the v rack in the drip pan and then the drip pan on the place setter. Am I reading this correctly that the grid is not used and is the reason that it lowers the bird due to the extra height the v rack gives? Also, my drip pan is the cheap aluminum type. Do I need to set some nuts or other objects under drip pan so the surface area is not as large sitting on the place setter?
    I think you got it!  Some spacers between any drip pan and the plate setter are always a good idea.  It will keep the drippings from burning and smelling funky.  

Also...you might try a test fit.  If the bird will fit with a grid in place then I would just do that.  With the newer egg they have slots in the fire ring for the plate setter legs to go in, so this drops the height a little.  Just make sure your dome thermo isn't poking into the bird ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• PA Dutch Egger
    Options
    All good suggestions given above.  The one thing I do is when brining turkey instead of rough time of 15 min a pound I figure on 12 minutes a pound for cook time. Others will not agree with that, but MHO
  • shughes
    Options
    thanks for all the suggestions. ran out and bought some copper T's to place under 9x13 pan and will set the turkey and v rack in the pan. I think I am all set. Will start the brine tonight. Also like the idea about the Y setup Canugghead suggested.