Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Turkey Breast Questions

I plan on smoking a turkey breast Wednesday night (I'll be cooking a full turkey Thursday morning on the egg).

I know too much smoke isn't necessarily good for poultry, but is one handful of chips (pecan/apple) really enough?

And do you put chips on when you start egg or right before you put turkey on?  do you add chips throughout the cook?

I did a trial run last week, used a handful of chips (as I've seen recommended), and I didn't think it was nearly smokey enough.

I plan on cooking around 325 dome temperature.

As far as serving goes the next day, is it best to reheat,or do i just serve sliced cold?

I'm confident in my whole turkey cook, but I really want to nail this smoked breast as well.

As always, any help is appreciated from my fellow eggheads.
BGE in the ATX

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    If you know a given amount of chips wasn't enough, then add more.  I mix chips or chunks throughout the lump load so where there is fire there is smoke.  I wouldn't go more than two good handfuls of chips (or a couple of chunks) for a 15# bird.  WRT-next day serving, that's personal preference.  FWIW-YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • So you're adding your chips/chunks when you light the fire and not right before the breast goes on?

Is there a discernible difference?
    BGE in the ATX
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    What type of chips?  Fruit woods are much lighter than other woods like mesquite or hickory.  That could be part of it not being smokey enough for your liking.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • dweebs0r said:
    What type of chips?  Fruit woods are much lighter than other woods like mesquite or hickory.  That could be part of it not being smokey enough for your liking.
    Last time I used a combination of pecan and apple.  One large handful right before the breast went on.
    BGE in the ATX
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Try hickory next time using the same amount of wood.  Guaranteed to be smokier.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).