Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Amazon Lightining Deal: Maverick Wireless BBQ Thermometer Set - Maverick ET732

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RAMQCA

Lokks like another 1hr and 45 minutes remaining on this Lightining Deal. Get one if you do not have it.
LBGE & Mini
Orlando, FL

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I'm holding out for the 733. Actually, I just found out they have a 733 today. Need to look into it and see what people think of it, or if anybody even has one yet.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Isn't the only difference between a 732 and a 733 is easier setup of temperature and the fact that the 733 can display both pit and meat temp at the same time? (it also has features like preset temperatures for meats, but that's not very important IMO)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

The et733 is a hybrid of the older et-7 and et-732. The et-733 makes it easier to set temps by increasing or decreasing (instead of just pressing the button until you get to the number you need... and then starting over because you overshot - arrrgggh!). The et-7 had timers too, which the et-733 may have as well.

The probes have not been as robust lately, but the company has tried to replace them when requested. Aftermarket probes are also available, with longer probe wires. I still use the probes from the et-7 i bought several years ago. When my et-73 bites the dust, i will likely buy an et-733.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Yea I was reading the reviews and the probes have me concerned. A lot of people report them only working a couple time and I just don't feel like dealing with that.

What I really want is a CyberQ which I suppose I could use like a Maverick by just not plugging in the fan and looking at its Web output on my phone. 
  • Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • txav8r
    txav8r Posts: 153
    I have the ET-732.  It does display both the pit and meat temp at the same time on the secondary display.  The main display and temp unit that the probes plug into and stays with the egg alternate the display.

Speaking of probes...yes, the company will display them.  But the hookup connection of the probes is different than the thermoworks probes, that are much more reliable.  I don't know if they make probes that will work with the Maverick.  I am interested to read here that others have found aftermarket probes that will.  I got one cook out of my probes and then wild fluctuations in temp on them for a second cook.  It made them unusable.  Maverick did replace them free and no questions asked.  But they also told me I needed to wrap them in foil to protect them.  They have a temp limit in the upper 400's but they can't handle 400+ without issues, from my experience.  My replacement probes failed on my recent BB ribs cook.  I was using the CGS AR rig with extender (two grids with lower grid at gasket level, and stone below with large water/drip pan on it). I was using the grid probe mounted to the lower grid between the two slabs and did not use the meat probe.  I had a dome temp of 225-250 steady and the Maverick jumped from about 240 to 436 and the alarm went off!  I checked...dome still at 235ish.  While I love how it worked on my brisket cook, since that day, I haven't had too good reliability out of it.  If you have to wrap the probe wires, and replace them frequently, how do you trust them?  If I was doing it over again, I would go with the Thermoworks or Cyber/Digi Q...and will upgrade to that in the future.

If anyone knows of better thermocouple probes (like thermoworks) that will fit and work with the Maverick, please post model and where you got them!
    Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Its a shame that the newer probes have been so problematic. I use the older et-7 probes, and they work fine after several years of pretty regular (weekly) use. I never wrapped mine in foil, but I do wash them by hand (myself) carefully after each use. I don't pull on the wire, and I don't leave it out in the rain without covering the transmitter in a plastic bag. I have the shorter (3') probes rated to 400+ degrees.

I don't use them for any cooks hotter than 300°F, just because I don't feel like I need to know the exact temperature, especially since I cook mainly to temp, not time. 

MrMista said:
    Yea I was reading the reviews and the probes have me concerned. A lot of people report them only working a couple time and I just don't feel like dealing with that.

What I really want is a CyberQ which I suppose I could use like a Maverick by just not plugging in the fan and looking at its Web output on my phone. 
    Yep that would work. I would love to have a wifi controller as well, but the high cost is keeping me from buying one right now. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.