Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Importance of Using a Good Quality Roasting Pan on the Egg??

Options
I may have the opportunity to score a good quality Roasting pan at a dirt cheap price. I rarely use my oven to roast in and I traditionally use a foil pan and v-rack or a cast iron pan and v-rack. Things like turkey or standing rib roast I use the cast iron one and pulled pork brisket etc. I use the foil roast pans.

I am curious what you guys think about the importance of using a high quality roast pan. PArticularly for something where you cook the veggies in the bottom of the pan roast pan.The pan will be all mine, and it is stainless steel so it should clean up, but it will never get used inside. Thoughts?

TIA
Jim
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    I have a nice(ish - I think?) stainless steel roasting pan which I use occasionally.  At most 2-4 times a year.

I do use it in the Egg, and perhaps it's already been downgraded from "nice", as I had to actually bend the handles on either end down, so that the lid of the egg would close.

IMHO - a "nice" pan, vs. a "not so nice" pan.... won't make a lick of difference.  So long as you control the temp properly, your turkey will come out great, and the veggies in the bottom shouldn't burn.  
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    For a dirt cheap price, I would go for it. He who dies with the most toys... wins! :D

Its not absolutely necessary, as you already know, given that you have cooked in the cast iron pan and foil pans. But then, how many things in life are absolutely necessary? I would get it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    The only thing I can think of is if you want to use the pan with direct heat to make some kind of pan sauce. For example make a turkey and then put the pan on the stove burners to make gravy in the pan.  I think you could do this with a CI roasting pan, but you might get a little more of that iron "flavor" than you want in the sauce. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    I have used foil pans, cheap 9x13 baking pans, and now a nice new Fat Daddio 15-inch round commercial cake pan. The new commercial pan just about wiped clean after doing a turkey on Saturday. Very nice.

If you can get a nice pan for the price of a crappy pan, get the nice one.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I think you get a better colour on the bird with a shallow rectangular ss pan. As has been said they are a breeze to clean after you deglaze and don't blow out the budget. MIL bought me a real nice Paderno roaster for Christmas a few years ago...doesn't fit on the egg so it's still in the box

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback. I am inclined to get it, but my true use is for Christmas when I think I'm going to do a roast that has veggies that Cook in the pan. I figured a "real" roasting pan might do better than The cast-iron pan was intended as a drop in veggie pan for my gas grill. Remove a grate and replace it with this pan. It came with the V rack as well and so it could double as a roast pan. Though it has served me well on the gas grill and on my smoker, it's initial cost was far less than most roast pans. I am really leaning towards getting it for the Christmas roast,  but I was thinking if I pick it up before Thanksgiving I could also use it for the turkey on the Egg. Where I've only done one turkey on my Egg, I just don't know how much difference I would notice between this heavy-duty stainless steel pan and the cast-iron pan. Once again thanks for your all your help and suggestions.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    caliking said:
    He who dies with the most toys... wins!

Wise words, IMO. :D
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    @jfm0830 ....  Do I hear "Group Buy"????
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    thetrim said:

@jfm0830 ....  Do I hear "Group Buy"????

No you hear friend who works in food service store who is getting one as a spiff. He already has one he likes...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Not sure the pan makes that much of a difference. Here's a cheapie I both at WM for like $12 complete with a rack. the only problem was I had to cut 2 corners off slightly to fit inside my large egg, but for 12 bucks so what!
    imageThen the following year JC Penny had this really nice $80 Martha Stuart roaster on sale for $30 so I bought it. Only problem was one turkey in the egg and it discolored like crazy and I never have been able to make it shine again.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pflug
    pflug Posts: 106
    Options
    I just picked up this Graniteware one from wally world for $6.97.  I want to do the gravy afterwards on the stovetop and was worried the foil pan would be too flimsy.  I sized it and it is 19" from tip to tip and fits in my large... even with the p/s inside the PSWoo3.

Question - I was going to put it directly on the p/s with an old pizza stone as a barrier below the p/s - do I still need to put the spacers to the p/s?  Any recommendations on the set-up would be welcome.
    001.JPG 379.4K
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    RRP said:
    Not sure the pan makes that much of a difference. Here's a cheapie I both at WM for like $12 complete with a rack. the only problem was I had to cut 2 corners off slightly to fit inside my large egg, but for 12 bucks so what!
    imageThen the following year JC Penny had this really nice $80 Martha Stuart roaster on sale for $30 so I bought it. Only problem was one turkey in the egg and it discolored like crazy and I never have been able to make it shine again.

Fixes almost everything : http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/where-to-buy
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

500 Posts: 3,177
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I've been going through the same dilemma. I settled on an old 9x13 cake pan. Was going with just a cheap tin pan but it's hard to make the gravy afterwards. This should work. I've got a nice big roaster that won't fit. But the rack from it does after bending the corners.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009