Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

got my new extra large

Beer-n-Eggs
Beer-n-Eggs Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well I sold my large today and went and picked up the extra large. Man this thing is a mammoth. I'm gonna have to baptize it tonight with something. What could it be that's fairly quick yet yummy? I'm doing steaks tomorrow night so don't want that tonight?[p]Ideas?[p]Any tricks I should know about the extra large since I'm used to cooking on a large or should it be smooth sailing?[p]Thanks!
Buster

Comments

• bbqwizard
    bbqwizard Posts: 119
    Beer-n-Eggs,[p]Congrats on the new Egg! You could always grill up some yummy onion burgers, or Beer-n-Brats.[p]Have fun!
    phillip

• TheHulk
    TheHulk Posts: 157
    Beer-n-Eggs,[p]With the real estate you have for a grate, you could throw on a variety of things....[p]Good luck & invite the neighbors....
  • eggfamily.jpg
    <p />well, here she is, fired up and ready for meet. Tonight we'll be doing a pork tenderloin, some talapia and veggie pacs. Yummy!
  • Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Beer-n-Eggs,
    Impressive array there, per your photo. Curious that both Big(and Bigger) Eggs are in wheeled nests....but no folding side-tray tables? Due to lack of elbow room on your tree-shaded deck, or???
    Yup, I've seen the new Beast at my local Egg purveyor, yesterday when I picked up my replacement dome for my Large(long story)..and the New Maxi Egg looks pretty sweet. I always thought that my next BGE purchase might be a small or medium, but now I know I already own the "new" medium---just goes to show that---- what most of us know here in the land of the free---"there is no substitute for cubic inches"
    You go bro.
    Big Murth in New Mexico

• Big Murth,[p]Dude, I'm tellin ya....maybe it's me tryin to convince myself but it seems with the larger voume of the XL that temp is easier to regulate on my first cook. I love everything about it except for the weight. [p]The reason for no side tables is b/c of the sitting space on the sides of my stainless jenn-air plus porch railings, there's really no reason for me to invest in the sides. I'm actually thinking about building a cart for this jewel but making a hinged/liftable front in front of the egg so I can easily slide it out and take it places with my nest. I don't know. Might be a good winter project. No rush since I have the wheels. [p]Of course, it's mobility is limited by it's weight so the hinge idea may be a moot point as I may never remove it from the cart. If I do a cart, it will have an umbrella hole and if I catch umbrellas discounted end of season next year, that would be good. [p]Who knows what she will hold in her future but so far, I'm glad I made the jump larger. My in-laws came over tonight, and in some good redneck words they said...."damn that thing is swole". Well I guess that's a good thing cuz tomorrow she gets her first hog shoulder and deer shoulder. Ahhhh sooky sooky!!![p]I'll take pics of whatever goes on!

• dblR
    dblR Posts: 75
    Beer-n-Eggs,[p]Welcome to the XL club. 7-8lb BUTT!! it is what I did. You will not believe how it holds temp. You will alomst put in a whole bag of BGE lump; but you will be pleasantly surprised how little the XL uses. I love mine. One word of advice that Dr.BBQ gave me that is so true for T-rexed steaks; get you some long tongs. Big Boy is really 24" of 800* HOT!![p]Ralph
  • Beer-n-Eggs,
    My first thought looking at your pics was, "gee....hope that deck is engineered strong enough to hold all that weight, plus any 'guests'????

• CJ,[p]Yeah we've wondered that ourself since it's 14 ft off the ground.[p]Maybe I should rig a harnes to the roof on each egg in case the deck should give way, the eggs remain safely hanging.
  • I was thinking of getting an extra large.

I had a couple of questions:

1. How large is the actual cooking grate? (I've seen anywhere it listed as 22 inches and 24 inches. The reason why I'm asking is I was wondering if other standard grates - e.g. Weber 22 1/2 inch grates - would fit.)

2. Does it weigh over 250 pounds?

Thanks!