Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lost my ceramic capper today

2»

Comments

• I haven't seen my ceramic cap since I bought my egg and have little use for it. I use the cast iron, close it down when I'm done with my cook, put my cover on when it gets down to 200 or so.

Is there something I'm missing? Do some of you go without a cover?

XL BGE, egghead since 2010

Favorites: Beer Butt Chicken, Paella, ABT's, Prime Rib

• Forgive my ignorance, but I struggle with some of the acronyms...i know what the piece is but what does dfmt stand for?  
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    dual function metal top
    canuckland
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I don't like the ss cap. All I can hear is "danger Will Robinson" and I see dryer duct arms flailing around. I guess vi could be Dr Smith.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    You can call BGE retail store in Tucker, GA  770 934-5300
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • dual function metal top

Thanks!
  • The ss cap looks much better and a little more functional than this. :) Something else to add to the list.
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    i tried to PM on getting a ceramic cap, but they do not seem to be going through.  I would like to buy one from anyone looking to get rid of theirs.  I have an XL.

Thanks,
    James
  • txav8r
    txav8r Posts: 153
    I have asked this question on numerous threads.  What is the ceramic cap for anyway?  I have never used mine!  I use the DFMT exclusively.  When I shut down the cook, I just close the eyes and the flap completely.  I don't see anything but shutdown.  I have a new ceramic top for the large that has never been used if you want one.  PM me and make an offer.  I may look into the SS top one of these days...
    Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    txav8r said:
    I have asked this question on numerous threads.  What is the ceramic cap for anyway?  I have never used mine!  I use the DFMT exclusively.  When I shut down the cook, I just close the eyes and the flap completely.  I don't see anything but mshutdown.  I have a new ceramic top for the large that has never been used if you want one.  PM me and make an offer.  I may look into the SS top one of these days...

Typically the rain bonnet is far more air tight than the cast iron Miss Daisy with all "her adjustable' vents.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I would be concerned about eventual rust just staying with the cast top...but mine is exposed...if you have it covered when not in use, or it's in a garage probably little rust risk. But I bet you would have more lump for the next cook if you used the ceramic cap when snuffing out.