Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fused egg

Options
Hello, My precious little mini got welded shut this past weekend. It still had the original gasket on it and I think I bought it in 2008' What is the going thoughts on getting it open without injury? Any new gaskets prefered? Haven't been on this forum for a looong time and would appreciate the help. Thanks!

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I would try to light it through the firebox.  See if it will get hot enough to loosen up and open.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Yes just put an oil soaked paper towel through the bottom vent and light it and let it heat up. I have the old white nomex gasket from BGE on my mini and its holding up.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    You may want to borrow your wife's blow dryer and work around the perimeter.  I had my first gasket fall apart and they sent me a new one that has held up far further.  I think they changed the material.  Are you somewhere where it could be forozen shut? 
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    I just had the same problem last week after clean burn and posted for advice. Mine was simply some food glops or whatever that glued it shut.

Very carefully with an old thin chefs knife, I worked between the two gaskets I found about six spots that were glued stuck. No damage to the gaskets.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    It's not too cold here. I did a clean out burn, got distracted, came back a little later, that little mini pegged the thermometer. I shut down the vents and came back later and it was sealed shut.  #-o
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    You have some good advice above. You could also try a putty knife slid between the gasket. A lot of times it is one smaller area that is keeping the whole thing from opening. You could do this in conjunction with the methods to add some heat to the egg
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    Its open now! Yay!!