Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Recommendations?

Options
2»

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    @henapple, color is very nice right now.  Lots of reds and dark colors.  We spent the day at Cade's Cove.  The views and leaves colors there was beautiful.  Absolutely wonderful drive into and out of the Cove.  Nice canopy of yellow leaves over the roadway on a clear day.  The exact reason why we come here.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @henapple have you ever felt how smooth the cooking surface is on a Griswold versus a lodge? I have posted pics before a lodge looks like a pop corn ceiling and a Griswold looks like marble. Also a Griswold isn't a Griswold isn't a Griswold. Someone above posted that Griswold are thinner so they heat more evenly but that's not even true of all Griswold. The early Griswold were thin and light but later griswolds were thick and heavy. I have a large logo slant #9 Griswold with a full writing lid that I paid like $200 for and the pan is probably 12" or so and weighs maybe 5 pounds. My parents gave me a small logo Griswold #9 and it is thick and weighs probably 15 pounds. Also from what I have read at some point Griswold started recycling car parts and using them in their metal so the quality went down at some point. Either way there's no argument at all if you can find a Wagner or small logo Griswold for the same price as lodge then don't buy a lodge. Even the poor quality Wagner and Griswold were made much better than lodge.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Lit... Just saying lodge will do the job. Some like smooth... Some ribbed.

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    daffy1909 said:
    @cookinbob where do u find lodge pots and pans? @-)
    I have purchased Lodge at Amazon and at Target.  Target has the 12" skillet and 5 qt dutch oven in stock,  some other pieces too, though I was not looking for anything else.  If you go through target.com you can get as good a price as amazon, and pick up at the store.  I also found a Lodge grill pan on clearance at Target for $13.  Bought but barely use it - I have better ways to grill these days.  :D
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    Lodge, that's all we own.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I have 2 cusinarts and love them.half the price of lacruset.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Best kitchen investment ever.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • hoffmand
    hoffmand Posts: 105
    Options
    For plain cast iron pans I use and like Lodge. For enameled Dutch ovens I have a few Le Creuset and one Costco/Kirkland "Made in France" 6.5qt. It's just as nice as the LC but much cheaper. Same price as the enameled Lodge that are made in China.
    Cedar Park, TX
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    @Lit, I agree with you on all that. My first skillet was one of the big emeril ones that I got as a wedding gift. We still use that one all the time in addition to my #8 and #4 griswolds. Now, if I had a #10+ griswold, that might be a different story, but it still works great even with the rough finish. But I absolutely love the smooth finish, and so do my eggs (like chicken eggs).
    Dunedin, FL