Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which way to Turkey

Its time for a change. I have been deep frying a turkey for Thanksgiving  for the past 15 years. Its time to try it on my Large Egg. Should I beer can it or roast it laying down? I'm thinking 350-375 Indirect for 4 hours or so. I don't care too much for smoked poultry so it will be brined, rubbed, and possibly injected. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Bud
Large BGE
Lawrenceville, GA

Comments

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    I've made turkey the last 2 years for the holidays and they were by far the best I've ever made. VERY moist. Even my ex was impressed.
    Lightly smoked with cherry. I just use a rack in a roasting pan and create from there. They were brined, no injection needed.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Smoked a turkey for the first time last year. Brined overnight, rinsed and rested in the refrigerator another night then smoked at 375 ish until done. It was very good.

+ 1 for no injection. Remember to ice the breast for 30 -45 mins before smoking it so that the breast and thighs are done at the same time.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Spatchcock it.
    Duncan, SC
  • Seanr7
    Seanr7 Posts: 207
    My turkey from last week.
    XL BGE
  • Do a search on mad max Turkey. The best
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I have done a half dozen turkeys the last year and tried all the different methods. I happened to land doing them the @mickey way by spatchcocking multiple smaller birds (12-14 pounders) at 400 raised direct with a small chunk of cherry for 1.5 - 2 hours to temp. Prep is brining for 24 hours, then letting dry out for 24, then rubbing with a coffee rub using a bit of oil or melted butter to make it stick if the skin is really dry. I do ice breasts too.
    imageimage
    Dunedin, FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg (you cut out the backbone and cook opened) I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2 hr cook app) Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. Or, just add a package of legs extra. I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over. I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like. NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND) I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 160 and thigh @ 180. Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I have to second and third cooking the turkey spatchcocked.  I don't think I will do a turkey the old fashioned way ever again.  

Our most recent one was an orange and bourbon brined turkey that the whole family loved when my daughter was here in September. 

Recipe here:  Orange and Bourbon Brined Turkey

I like smoked poultry but if you don't, I think just using lump and no wood would still give you a fire roasted flavor without excessive smoke.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • @seanr7 - talk to me about the process for that end result.  Top Notch.
  • Seanr7
    Seanr7 Posts: 207
    @cantonDawg I stuffed it with a quartered onion and orange, garlic and cellery, after using kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper in the cavity. I then smeared herb butter all over the turkey. Cooked indirect on a roasting pan rack at 350 for about three hours. The herb butter was two sticks softened butter, I used unsalted, and fresh sage and rosemary finely chopped and a cap full of dried thyme, pink Himalayan sea salt and pepper. I then sat back and drank, the BGE did the rest
    XL BGE
  • All this turkey looks delicious, and I have no doubt the egg cooks wonderful turkey no matter what recipe it is.  But is it actually better than turkey from a deep fryer?  Deep fried turkey is my favorite meat out of all the holiday dinners in the year.  If yall say its worth switching then I will try it on the egg this year, I just dont see how it could get much better than deep fried turkey done right in cajun peanut oil.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @ChuckChampion - I used to be of the opinion that deep fried turkey was the best way to do turkey until I smoked one last year (not on the egg though). My sister voted it the best turkey I've ever made because of how moist and juicy it was and the nice smoke flavor. 

There were some technical aspects of turkey frying that I didn't like e.g. making sure I had enough propane on hand, keeping the burner lit (had strong winds one year), and what to do with all the peanut oil afterwards. We practically don't deep fry anything so the oil was just pitched. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    One word, MadMax turkey. Well that was two or three depending on how you spell it but seriously, look on the NakedWiz web site for this method and you won't be disappointed.
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.