Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So, I landed a mini!

I went to my egg dealer today for a $20 grid and they had a used Mini sitting on display. He looked lonely and neglected in the corner all by himself... So naturally, I had to adopt it as I hate to see any egg that neglected (aren't I a compassionate soul?). I did it for the children!

Now... how to break it to SWMBO?.?.?.?
SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You will like it. But, how much was it?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I would just lie and say that it came HEAVILY discounted because it was used and they needed to clean out inventory. Its just easier that way. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    I thought it was a pretty good deal. It is the new style with the solid handle and included a nest for $200.

A little background... Last year for Christmas, we bought our 6 year old daughter a Small Egg. :)

So this year for Christmas, I just bought our newborn twin boys a Mini Egg.... :D

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Just tell her the mini travels well and now you can Egg on vacations, etc.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    sounds like a good deal, if its the nest that wraps around the mini dont use it though, if someone doesnt post a pic of how it causes the mini to crack do a post asking about the mini stand, im not sure if they fixed that stand or if you have the problem one
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    200 is a steal.  I'd have snagged it at that price no doubt.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That is a great deal- especially from a dealer.  

Sounds to me like you have your SWMBO pitch ready...you did it for the children!!!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I'm jealous. Been checkin craiglist for that kinda deal but no luck yet.  Hope your fam enjoys it bud.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Where do you buy the often shown carton?  I am thinking about a mini.  The Spouse opined the other day that she might go for a small and mini so we have them all.  No input for an XXL.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• jtippers
    Doc_Eggerton I inquired about that myself several weeks ago... I was told that the man who made the EggCartens quit making them. Shame... cause it looks like a solid product.

• just tell her its always been in the back of the garage and you don't use or my favorite look what I won.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • jtippers
    Here is a pic of it...
    @fishlessman is this the same nest you were referring to?

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    jtippers said:
    I went to my egg dealer today for a $20 grid and they had a used Mini sitting on display. He looked lonely and neglected in the corner all by himself... So naturally, I had to adopt it as I hate to see any egg that neglected (aren't I a compassionate soul?). I did it for the children!

Now... how to break it to SWMBO?.?.?.?
    The insanity plea works well the first couple of times

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    That was a great deal! They heat faster and use less lump.

My goto for smaller fast cooks like steaks, burgers and dogs. Also good for sides  and apps when the medium is full.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    @jtippers That is the new style nest, not the old one that wraps around, you are all set.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    If you are worried about how the wife will react I will give you the $205 for it :P.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jtippers
    Lol, she was happy with it... Grilled some chicken breasts for dinner on it and she was sold. Life is good at our house tonight!

• What is the usual price??? I'm feeling the urge to add a mini for my Christmas Eve present. My Christmas present will be here tomorrow-Anova sous vide! Next-New Years presents! :D
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    Nice score, just sear her a steak and I bet no comments will be made. That's what I did and now I have two mini's.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I did it for the children!!! Great excuse. How could she argue with that?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• caliking
    What is the usual price??? I'm feeling the urge to add a mini for my Christmas Eve present. My Christmas present will be here tomorrow-Anova sous vide! Next-New Years presents! :D
    SWMBO and I have a system for holiday gifts that has worked flawlessly for the past several years. We try to be inclusively secular, so we celebrate all the holidays - Diwali, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Christmas, etc. She buys what she wants for herself, stated as a gift to me. I buy what I want for myself, stated as a gift for her. Examples of past gifts - one year she received a CI skillet for Hanukkah, I received a set of Voluspa aromatherapy candles. Last year for Christmas she received a large egg, and I received a set of French milled soaps for Kwanzaa. And so on.

The system works brilliantly. No money wasted on useless gifts like ties and carp like that. :) What I'm saying is that you need to surprise her by giving her a mini for Diwali. 

• jtippers
    That is a great system... I love it!

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    WOW, you stole it for that price! Nice find!!! You will love it!
  • krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    edited October 2013
    @caliking-I LOVE THAT!!! I'll claim politically correctness and get him the mini for Halloween!!!! We'll then carry it on to all of the holidays you mentioned. I'll need to do some research and find more holidays tho, as hubby has many (mini) needs....lol
    Rome, GA
  • caliking
    @krobertsmsn - yup... holidays of every denomination/culture/ethnicity= reasons to acquire eggcessories :)

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Steal....enjoy.
    Seattle, WA
  • ;;)
    Rome, GA
  • so the nest that wraps all the way around will they replace it with the new version or you have to buy it ?, are they all bad ?
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    They are not for the mini they are for the chiminea. You have to buy the new nest or get a carten. The carten is awesome.
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    you can wrap heat tape around the nest to provide some expansion room around the solid ring

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI