Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ideas wanted - need to replace my grill gazebo

Hello, My Homeowners Association is making me remove my Dunkirk Gazebo (pictured). Because it's visible from the street. I have been thinking of putting up a fence, but the max height allowed is 6' fence and the gazebo roof is over 8' tall. What ideas can you offer up for something that can be 'hidden' behind a 6' fence? BTW, gazebo is for sale on craigslist - 500.00 Thanks!

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited October 2013
    I don't think you could build a structure with a roof that is under 6 ft.  For me and Little Steven it would be fine, but for many people that would cause an issue. 

Can you build something on to the house?  This would get more expensive, but they might allow it.  My HOA won't allow any kind of free standing structure (like a shed), but they will allow you to build a shed onto the side of the house.  

Just thinking outside the box- could you just move the gazebo to a place where it is hidden, like directly behind the house?  How about a few trees to hide it? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    Try some tall natural coverage to block the view. Don't think a 6' roof is practical for an egg shelter.
    Brampton, Ontario

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    They allow privacy fences but not a nice patio cover? Plant a Bradford pear tree and tell them 3 years from now they won't be able to see it. Seriously, not sure what you can do at 6 foot high. What if the cover was part of the house... Matching the exterior finishes? Retractable awning? Move? Let us know.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited October 2013
    Sorry to hear that the nosey neighborhood n@=!s are making you remove and redo that good looking cooking shelter.
    Gotta love those life controllers.
    All they should ever get is a "whiff" of the egg's goodness.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    What about one of those retractable awnings that attach to the wall?  Similar to like what motor homes have.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • henapple
    GreenhawK said:

What about one of those retractable awnings that attach to the wall?  Similar to like what motor homes have.

I would have never thought of that...
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    What about planting some bamboo? Grows quickly and pretty high. Or a line of arbor vitae to screen the gazebo from view.

@! # $ stoopid HOA. Hate those folks.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • arango1
    arango1 Posts: 10
    Thanks all, I'm kind of leaning towards planting something that will provide cover above the 6'. But for now I have to take it down :((
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    That makes it time for the weight bench and car on cinder blocks in the front yard.  F'em!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Seanr7
    Seanr7 Posts: 207

Find the rat bastard that told on you and break his legs?

XL BGE
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited October 2013
    how about one of those offset umbrellas? I saw one at the BX for $99.
    Gittin' there...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    could you put a shelf at 6 feet up front or on the fence and put some potted plants on it to hide the gazebo. i could never live in an hoa, years ago the propane man said he wouldnt deliver propane unless i trimmed a path to the tanks for him, he eventually broke down and bought pruning shears
    :D i could see if it were an eyesore but that looks to blend in perfectly with the property. maybe mount a 6 foot fence 3 feet off the ground
    :)) ive seen that before in maine, good to not see the traffic, not so good for the dog. in maine the other option would be to hide it under a big blue tarp
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I have an offset patio umbrella on my deck for when rain is in the forecast. Just wind it up and swing it over the BGE. There is a vent in the top to let the smoke out too! I have the Southern Butterfly Freedom Umbrella. 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited October 2013
    What about a patio umbrella that could be put up when needed?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    how high are the umbrellas, im betting over 6 feet
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mine is a good 10 feet high when raised all the way, you can lower them a foot or so though..
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • Their alternative is an unobscured view of all of your grilling gear...

I assume that building an attached awning-type roof is forbidden or too expensive. I like the bamboo option. Bamboo can be pretty invasive so maybe it will recompense your neighbors for your trouble.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

I would ask for a variance to the ACC regs. If no, then request a meeting with the ACC board and have all your neighbors that are not opposed to speak in favor.

If still no, vote the HOA board out.

Read your HOA docs sometimes you may have a way around. And last, is there any other structures in violation that may have been approved?

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • henapple
    Get one of those blue tarps and some 2x4... Put it up when you egg... Just to piss them off.
  • Hotch is on it! Great post.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    henapple said:

Get one of those blue tarps and some 2x4... Put it up when you egg... Just to piss them off.

Even better. Ghille netting.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    edited October 2013
    Move out of the HOA and move where you can do what you want.

To be honest I think the gazebo looks great.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Lower the floor!
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • henapple
    I jus noticed the elbow on your gutter has not been painted to match the existing spout. You have 3 days to fix this. Also, the Little Tyke table is visible and we've had complaints. Please remove. =))
  • arango1
    arango1 Posts: 10
    Thanks for all the feedback, I will look for umbrella options too.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    edited October 2013

Get permission for a small fish pond.  Dig down 3' and sink your gazebo below the visible-from-the-street line.  Place a fish bowl on the counter and feed the fish occasionally (option: replace fish occasionally).

PS Be sure to install a good sump-pump or good drainage line to the street.

But I like the umbrella ideas too.

My Chicken Coop can't be seen from the street and my back yard is surrounded by bamboo and cemetery with a 6' privacy fence..  I'm sure the HOA would not approve, but they can't see it from the street.  In fact, no one can see it unless they come into my back yard.

Spring "Hidden From View" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Wish I lived close to you as I would buy the Gazebo from you.