Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg in a Flood

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My egg was flooded in New Orleans. It was in up to 10 ft. of water for up to a week. I called the maker and they said to burn a bag of charcoal and keep it real hot to dry it out. I just did that and could not get the temp over 600 F I have gottenit accidentally over 1000 so I know it can get hotter. Question, is it not getting hotter because of the water in the ceramic? [p]

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    David N. Triche,
    Perhaps some of that sludge has gotten into the vent holes and is holding you back. I would take everything apart and make sure nothing is clogged up and then reassemble and try again. If 600° is as high as you can get it, let it run there for a good while and that shoud dry things out.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    David N. Triche,
    how long had it been going before you noted that it wasn't getting any hotter?[p]it may be just what you think...[p]might have to let it go for a while before it's totally dried out

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    David N. Triche,[p]Good to see your post and that you're safe. You may want to try a 2nd burn. I think the water could have an effect, but also try BobbyQ's suggestions![p]Smokey

• David N. Triche,
    I am not sure if wet ceramic would keep your temps down or not but if you want to dry out your egg skip the high temps and go low, slow and long. When cement kilns are constructed they have to build small fires in them and let the water sweat out of the cement for 30 days before they can actually be used. I know cement and ceramic are not the same but the concept should still apply.

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    David N. Triche,[p]Seems like those temps should kill the bacteria and such, but what about the heavy metals and chemical contamanents?[p]Something to consider hope it all works out for you.[p]Regards,
    Jethro

• Kelly Keefe
    Options
    David N. Triche,
    Just a thought, but perhaps the thermometer was affected and might not be reading accurately. Have you given it the boiling water test?[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• David N. Triche, I think the 600 is correct. WHen I first got the egg I was distracted with a phone call and the temp got to and estimated 1200. The seal was carbonized. I had the same amount of charcoal this time and the seal was fine.[p]