Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is the height of the bottom half of an XL egg?

Options
I'm upgrading from my large to an XL egg. I'm working on a custom built in area to accommodate the new grill. What I can't find anywhere is the distance from the bottom to the cooking surface/lid joint. I'm a taller guy. I currently have the joint at 42" on my Large. I know BGE has dimensions for a table, but they don't tell you what height the cooking surface will be, and a 32" tall table is too short. currently, I have a 36" table and the lid is 6" above that.

Can anyone tell me how tall this thing is? I forgot to measure at the store.

Comments

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    I know the lid/hinge clearance needed for a table from the bottom of the Egg is 15" on a large and 12.5" on an XL.  If I get what you're asking AND you're happy with the height of the large, adding another 2.5-3" should get you to where you want it to be.  Hope this helps.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• rprice54
    Options
    I'm building two rectangular tables to go on either side of the egg, the egg will be sitting on a shelf type stand, no cutout to worry about (filling a 45 degree angle on my deck). Just trying to figure out how tall the stand needs to be to get the lid at 40-42"
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Gotcha....on my large, the top off my bottom shelf is 20.25" off the ground, plus a 2" paver under the Egg....so 22.25" roughly total.  And from the ground to the middle of my handle is right at 42".  If you add another 2.5" or so to that for the extra height needed for the XL, then you should be right there. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I have an old style XL I would be happy to measure. I don't think the base dimensions changed.

Steve 

Caledon, ON