Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Glad you cooked...but why?

Really enjoyed the food at Eggtoberfest on Saturday. Thanks to all of you who cooked and worked the event. My question is why do you do it?

Location 33.537588, -83.969298 (33.5 miles and 41 minutes SE of the Mothership)

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Over the years we have made great friends by cooking at various fests...Yes we love the BGE and showing our cooks but to us it is about the friendships & cooking with our friends...
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I wasn't there to cook at Eggtoberfest, but I want to cook at Salado next year. I want to do it becuase I enjoy cooking, and enjoy cooking for others too. Do you enjoy having folks come over to your home for meals, and such? Its kind of along the same lines. I do enjoy it when I can feed others and see that they are enjoying their food. 

Also, I met some of the usual suspects on here at Salado last year. Great bunch of people. What could be better than getting together with friends, bbq'ing all day, and imbibing a few (or more) beverages in the process? :) Ranks up there as a great way to spend a weekend in my book. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited October 2013
    We have a group of 6 that cook together its like a small party within a big party. We have a blast, Bloody Mary's in the morning starting the eggs and beer in the after noon. With 6 people and 3 eggs you do not have to be tied to the egg all day and we have time to walk around. Ultimately it is cheaper as a group as you don't have to put food out all day from one egg.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    3sheets said:

Really enjoyed the food at Eggtoberfest on Saturday. Thanks to all of you who cooked and worked the event. My question is why do you do it?

Mickey makes me... But I have to wait till vi is done with the egg. Lols jk broski.

It's fun... Just like at home. @Caliking, I'm expecting some salmon.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I cooked @ Eggtoberfest 2013 I was my1st Egg event I had the time of my life just cooking and talking with all the people and watching the reaction the tasters had when they tasted my food no matter how much money it cost me for the food it was worth every penny I spent and I assure you this will be a annual thing for me and my son 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Well, at an Eggfest, I am suddenly not the only one in the conversation passionate about some funny looking green grill!

Actually, the answers above are all great.  For me, it is fun to cook for people and go way beyond what most folks thought possible with a "grill".  To cook an inexpensive pork tenderloin to perfection and have someone tell you it is as good as any beef tenderloin they ever had is a blast.  It is great to meet new folks from the forum and see those you met at the last cook--this year I got to meet and cook opposite @JRWhitee and his large group--fun group of guys.  There also is an unwritten cooks rule--you provide samples through the backdoor and sidedoor to cooks in your immediate area--so you do get some samples.  You learn stuff when cooking.  You get to teach folks how to use the Egg--at both fests where I have cooked lots of folks say they struggle with pizza-- so I do everything on my pizza cooks (except making the dough which needs to done a day ahead, and I do preslice ingredients) in front of them so they can see it and go do it at home.  You get to help first timers if they need it--on one side of me was first time cooks doing ABT's.  I was glad to lend them my butter knife which easily cleans out ribs and seeds, and then quickly saw immediately they were doing prep cleanout of jalapenos without gloves--which is a "you'll pay for that later" situation, so glad to quickly supply them the necessary gloves. 

Bottom line--if you haven't tried cooking, just go do it.  My only regret--I was shorthanded due to home Clemson game and fact close family friend getting married that Saturday night and my family was tied up with that--so I had to hightail it out a little early to get back for the wedding and I did not really get to walk around once I started cooking.  For GaMtnFest, trying to get a group of about 6 to 8 to cook on two eggs, that way we can work in shifts and have time to go sample too. 

• @SmokinTiger81 We had the privilege of cooking next to you this year at our first Eggtoberfest. Thanks for your early morning help setting up the tent! We wish that we had more time to chat with you but we could tell you were hustling and we were just clueless and overwhelmed by the experience. @JRWhitee, we were right behind you! Thanks for the kind offers of adult beverages and the back door samples. You guys were very entertaining and encouraging after some early morning ball-busting! We hope to see you all again next year. We would love to be able to get to the GaMtnFest.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    We like to cook.
  • @serialgrillers--you guys were right in there all day, did not look clueless to me.  Amanda (hope I got name right) was doing a great job keeping you all organized.
  • caliking
    @henapple - Ha! Be careful what you wish for. I'm yet to nail salmon - tend to under or over cook it, but one of these days I'll get it :)

• @SmokinTiger81 -- That was my wife, Brittany. Sometimes you need a woman to keep a bunch of guys organized when beer and fire start to mix.
  • JRWhitee
    @serialGrillers sorry didn't know that was you, good times though.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Sorry for the name mix up, and either way you guys better keep her so you don't blow yourselves up.
  • henapple
    edited October 2013
    caliking said:

@henapple - Ha! Be careful what you wish for. I'm yet to nail salmuon - tend to under or over cook it, but one of these days I'll get it :)

We'll, we could always just drink all day and let @travisstrick cook.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    I'm cooking at the Athens TX EggFest in April 2014. Met some pretty cool people there last year and was asked to cook at the 2014 event. Gonna have a few surprises for the crowd.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    henapple said:

caliking said:

@henapple - Ha! Be careful what you wish for. I'm yet to nail salmuon - tend to under or over cook it, but one of these days I'll get it :)

We'll, we could always just drink all day and let @travisstrick cook.
    Whoa!!!!! Don't you leave me out of the best part.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • JRWhitee
    Real men can drink and cook. 8-}

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Why do I cook at a fest?   Because it is fun.  And I get to meet new eggheads and reconnect with with old friends.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • caliking
    JRWhitee said:
    But can only do one of them superlatively at a time!

• JRWhitee
    caliking said:
    JRWhitee said:
    But can only do one of them superlatively at a time!
    True but while its happening you think you are superlative at both...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • I went to my first Eggtoberfest in 2009 and while I enjoyed it, I felt like I was on the wrong side of the tables.  I knew within an hour of being at my first one that I belonged behind the tables and Eggs!  Signed up the next year as a cook and now I wouldn't have it any other way.  I love the people, the conversations, the atmosphere, and showing off just what the Egg can do!
  •  I think it'd be fun to cook.  Lots of work, but fun. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
     I think it'd be fun to cook.  Lots of work, but fun. 
    It is a lot of work and can cost a lot of money. I always do stuff that is not conventional barbeque. I've never regretted doing it and it is a lot of fun.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Just a note to the new guys. You will be way ahead to cook, BUT only cook for an hour or two. Then spend the rest of the time meeting the other cooks.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    Low prep or pre-prep...
  • Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138
    For the same reasons SmokinTiger81 and vidalia1 said. :)

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• JRWhitee
    Pre-prep as much as possible.

Johns Creek, Georgia