Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I can cook buttt

I love to cook on my BGE and I can make a lot of great things. so I need help where i am lacking. I have cooked ribs at least a dozen times and I would say 3 times they have fell off the bone.  I made some this weekend and they were stuck. moister was great flavor was great but they did not fall off the bone.   225 cook temp 6 hours  pan of water w apple cider under and some misting during the cook.  Where am I going wrong?    

Comments

• Some foil will help it fall off.  Try 4 hours open and then 1 hour in foil with butter and apple juice.  I don't like fall off the bone, so I just do 5 hours straight smoke until past the bend test.  

XLBGE 
  • You could always boil them

XLBGE 
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Yeah, in general ribs that fall of the bone are overcooked. If that's what you're going for cook them longer and consider wrapping them very tightly in foil to keep the stream in.

A really well cooked rib will allow you to take a mouth shaped bite (like in a cartoon) without all the meat falling off the bone. 

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • I do not boil meat... would you boil a steak.???
  • FootLong said:
    I do not boil meat... would you boil a steak.???
    You didn't ask how to cook a steak

XLBGE 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Only thing I can think about recommending is the "bend test" and making sure the bones are sticking out about 1/4 of an inch. Never have a problem getting them to fall off the bone. Seems more a problem of mine to keep them "bite through" and not overshooting them. Usually smoke mine indirect at 275 deg some temp until they pass the "tests"... Usually baby backs take slightly less time for me than spares. If you are having trouble getting the consistency you are looking for, try the 2-1-1 method or 3-2-1 method. The 2-1-1 method is placing your ribs in the egg at 275ish dome temp meat side up with no foil for 2 hours with wood for smoke, then placing the rack meat side down on foil with a little oil/vinegar/brown sugar/whatever else and wrapping it all up in foil....place that back in foil for another hour on the egg until the bones are sticking out a little. Then, take the slab out of the foil and place back on the egg meat side up for another hour to dry up a bit.

The 3-2-1 method is basically the same thing , but with a 225 deg f dome temp instead.

That being said though, I usually have good results just going the entire time without foil at a 275ish dome temp for 3.5 to 4 hours.

Good luck and keep experimenting!!! :D

• Yeah, in general ribs that fall of the bone are overcooked. If that's what you're going for cook them longer and consider wrapping them very tightly in foil to keep the stream in.

A really well cooked rib will allow you to take a mouth shaped bite (like in a cartoon) without all the meat falling off the bone. 

Cheers
    B_B
    ok kinda like cooking a bone in butt for a long time how the bone just peals out..  humm so you are all in agreements that a lil stick to the ribs is good. it is definitely  tender and juicy I have just always been under the impression that ribs are supposed to fall off the bone.  
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    edited October 2013
    It's all down to what you like. Most ribs that fall of the bone will be pretty mushy in your mouth. A really well cooked rib will have a better texture, just a bit of toothsome chew, but still be tender. 

A lot of restaurants will brag about fall off the bone ribs, but that's because most people want to pay for that. Nothing wrong with it, it's just that they're often better cooked a little less. No right or wrong in this.
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • thanks I will keep at it.  eggsperimenting
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    It's all personal preference. Some like fall off the bone, some think it's overcooked. "Clean-bite" ribs are competition-style so most think that is the right way to do them.

Above all, what YOU and your guests prefer is the right way to do it. There is no wrong way if that way gets you those results.

Keep up the eggsperimenting, that's the best part.
  • My perfect rib requires me to pull a bit and leaves a clean bite mark and clean bone. I want the rest of the meat to stay on the rib.