Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Breast for sandwich meat

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Turkey breast going on to be sliced and frozen for lunch meat. Going raised direct.
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• txav8r
    txav8r Posts: 153
    Options
    What was your prep and cook? And did you slice by hand or with a slicer of some kind?
    Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • DMW
    Options
    Real simple, just EVOO and McCormick Montreal Chicken for this. Has not been sliced yet, when it is finished I will put it in the fridge and slice tomorrow when cool. I just got a cheap slicer from Harbor Freight Tools and will give it a try when I have time tomorrow.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • txav8r
    Options
    Sure looks good!
    Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    I just did this exact thing today.  lemme know how it turns out for ya!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• txav8r
    Options
    DMW, I also wanted to ask what temp and how long you smoked the breasts?
  • DMW
    Options
    @txav8r 375*-400* raised dire t until IT was 165* took about 2hrs of so. Just sliced it and added in the juice that drained while cooling in the fridge overnight. Will bag and seal later today.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• WoodsDog
    Options
    I do these quite regularly, but do them different.  I usually do dome ~325-350 with platesetter legs up.  Pull at 165

They come up wonderful, not dry at all.
  • DMW
    Options
    @WoodsDog I was going to go indirect similar to how you do but then got worried it would turn out rubbery. I guess as long as you don't go low and slow you will be OK. My next one I will try your method.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SaltySam
    Options

How do you like your Harbor Freight slicer?  I wasn't even aware they sold one.  Just looked online and the reviews were marginal at best.  For $29, it might be worth a shot.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• DMW
    Options
    @SaltySam The reviews are pretty much accurate. It's slow going for sure. I figured out it goes much better if you keep some vegetable oil handy for the blade. Once I started spraying it with cooking spray it became tolerable. I picked this one up because given the price I figured I would at least see if I use it enough to become frustrated and buy a real one. :)

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SaltySam
    Options

Also, do you brine your turkey breasts?  If so, you can go indirect, at a medium temp (325-350) and the result is incredibly juicy. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• DMW
    Options
    @SaltySam I have not brined them yet. It seems I can't plan ahead well enough...On my to do list...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA