Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can you do Burnt Ends with just a flat?

Or do you have to have the point and flat to do burnt ends?

Comments

• You can make "burnt ends" out of pretty much anything. They won't be the actual crispier-pieces-around-the-edges that originally spawned the burnties, but if you cook/cube/sauce/re-smoke you will be just fine. I use that method for lots of different cuts of meat, especially the thicker trimmings off of things.
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    you can but they may come out drier, as the flat does not have the point's fattiness to preserve moistness.  May end up using a bunch of bbq sauce to maintain moistness.  t

t  
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • I defer this to Mickey.  When it comes to burning anything, he is the master.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• My gut says tjv is probably right.  The ends have tons of fat to keep the meat moist after all that cooking.  If you're using the flat, it'd probably still taste great, but it may be a touch drier.
    Southern California
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    you can but i wouldn't burnt ends typically come from the point
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    What about cubing up some pork butt? Not beef, but should turn out pretty good.

Which brings me to the question - if you can buy flats separately, where do all those points go? Seems like flats cause a fair amount of bbq-heartache, but points sold separately would be nothing but goodness.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.