Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tryng the Travis method for a 2.8 lb brisket

Options
Ok gang, my oldest son got a brisket (2.8 lbs) and asked me to cook it for Labor Day dinner.  I have been studying the forum about the Travis method for cooking a brisket.  I have had to make a couple of small changes and hopefully they will work out.  First of all I could only find the Gold Buckle Allegro for Briskets.  It smelled and tasted really good out of the bottle, so I went with it.  I also could not find a Bock beer so i picked up a Guinness Stout.  mixed a cup of Allegro and the whole bottle of beer.  Still smelled nice.  It's sitting overnight in that marinade.  I plan on a 250-275 temp on the LBGE and will cook in the marinade until I hit @ 200 then I'll foil it and let it sit.  Any suggestions about cooking methods, times, temps or even wood?  My hubby and I are in a discussion about the wood to use to smoke with.  He's feeling apple or pecan, I just got my hands on some bourbon wood chips and can use my smoker tin.  What do you all think?

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Use the bourbon wood since it is oak(probably made from staves used in barrels). It is the traditional wood for brisket but you can add pecan too. It is considered "hickory lite" so it will give a nice flavor profile.
  • watergirlb
    Options
    Alright.  I let the meat marinade overnight in the Allegro and Guinness.  I patted the top just to remove a bit of moisture and rubbed in some honey (it's my preferred medium to stick the rub to the meat) and them applied the rub.  Ok, I usually use my own homemade rubs but my son purchased one and I felt obligated to use it.  I also liked the smell of the rub when I opened it, it seemed to go well with the smell of the marinade.  Here are a couple of pics before it goes on the LGE.  Fingers crossed.  BTW, I am going to use the bourbon chips and pecan and cook at 275-300.
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    Should be great, enjoy the ride. I've been Travising tri tip and I must say the caramelized onions give even the beef a run for its money by the time all is said and done.

Between the stout and the honey you might have a pretty sweet jus by the end, let us know what you think of the final product.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Yes, it would be very interesting to hear what you think of the contribution the packaged rub made to you brisket.

We're standing by!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • travisstrick
    Options

Should be great, enjoy the ride. I've been Travising tri tip and I must say the caramelized onions give even the beef a run for its money by the time all is said and done.

Between the stout and the honey you might have a pretty sweet jus by the end, let us know what you think of the final product.

Cheers
    B_B
    You know you have arived when your name gets used as a verb.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Since I cook for one person, would love to find 2.8-lb briskets around here!  Anxious to hear how it comes out.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• watergirlb
    Options
    WooHoo!  Well, I had to pull it a bit early, 188 degrees and only 4 1/2 hrs cook time around 300 in the dome, (I had a very, very hungry 2 1/2 yr old granddaughter so dinner had to be served LOL)  but it came out very good, very moist.  If I could have left it on until I hit 200 I am betting it would have fallen apart.  I was able to cut my bites with my fork so that's good, the onions were a nice accoutrement to the meat.  The rub was really quite good for store bought.  I was a bit worried that the added "hickory" flavoring would be too much but it had a nice peppery flavor that went well with the allegro. I will more than likely use my home made three pepper rub next time. I have a couple of pics to show the finished sliced product before and after dinner.  Thanks for the support and suggestions!  Oh yeah Botch, I think my son picked up the brisket as a cryovac package at Kroger in case you go n the hunt for a smaller brisket.
    <:-P
  • watergirlb
    Options
    After dinner.  Yum
    :))
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    A 2.8 pound brisket? 2.8??? Wouldn't that be a briskette??!!
  • watergirlb
    watergirlb Posts: 21
    Options
    Yeah, well....it was delicious.  :)