Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time St. Louis came for dinner

Options
Never did St Louis ribs before as I always did baby back, and it's been over a year since I even did that. Since I never tried them before and they were $1.50 a pound cheaper at Costco, I decided to give them a go. 3 racks, all rubbed overnight with dizzy dust. I did them about 5 hours just smoke, no foiling. Spritzer with apple cider vinegar a couple times 3 hours in. Dome 225 with Hickory and cherry. Slathered one with sweet baby rays, the other with my homemade guava bbq sauce, and the 3rd left naked. They turned out great and I'll be sticking with them with the price difference and all. Next time I'll just stick with all basted in the guava bbq since they were the favorites. Only had time for 1 pic, sorry.

I served with coleslaw and creamed corn that VI stole from the inmate. That turned out great though I changed the recipe. Used smoked gouda instead of cheddar and half and half instead of cream and water.
Dunedin, FL

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Those look just about perfect.  It looks like they are all a nice uniform thickness which makes a big difference in my opinion.  

Can we hear more about this guava BBQ sauce?  Someone was asking for some suggestions for Hawaiian style smoked ribs the other day.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice! Your sauce sounds good... Recipe please?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Here's the recipe for the guava bbq sauce. I would recommend waiting towards to end before adding the tomato paste, if at all, since it really throws the flavor profile around. Omitting it altogether gives you a much sweeter sauce. I usually throw what I don't use in the freezer for next time.

Ingredients
    • 1 cup cold water
    • 1 cup guava paste cut in small pieces
    • 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
    • 1/4 cup dark rum or bourbon
    • 2 lemons juiced 
    • 2 tablespoons dried onion
    • 1 tablespoon grated ginger
    • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
    • 2 tablespoons ketchup
    • 1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    • 2 tablespoons grated garlic
    • 3 tablespoons honey
    • 1 tablespoon molasses
    • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
    • 1-2 jalapenos minced
    • 1 tablespoon each freshly ground fennel seed, anise, coriander, mustard seed
    • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
    • Crushed red pepper, salt and pepper to taste

Directions
    1. Add all of the ingredients except for the salt/pepper in a saucepan.
    2. Bring mixture to a boil while whisking constantly.
    3. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes to thicken.
    4. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.

Dunedin, FL
  • Nick2cd
    Options
    Ribs look great! As does that end grain cutting board. Did u make the board or buy it?
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    My wife bought that for me before we were married. I'm guessing she either got it at macy's or bb&b since she did most of her shopping there back in the days. That thing soaks up mineral oil like a sponge. I want that to last a long time.
    Dunedin, FL