Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st brisket! How's my plan sound?

Options
Well I'm going to attempt my first brisket this Sunday! It's a 14 lb packer. It will be going on Saturday night at 225 degrees. I plan on cooking it till the probe slides in easy, then FTC for a few hours. I have people coming over and want it to be tender. Should I put a drip pan on top of the plate setter- under the grid? And also, should I foil it to achieve tenderness? Or will it be tender without doing so? Also, how should I trim it? Some say leave the fat on between the point and flat, others trim it off. Thanks for the help guys!
NW IOWA

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Drip pan, yes.. make sure and have an air gap between the pan and the plate setter, foil balls, plumbing copper "t"s ... keeps all of the juice from burning and putting off bad smoke.

Leave more fat than you remove...
  • SickEyeDiaz
    Options
    No need to wrap the brisket while it's cooking IMO.

Last one I did, I injected with Au Jus right before I put it on the Egg. It was 'melt in your mouth' by the time it was done!
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    Do I want to put water in the drip pan? And should I remove the big think hunk of fat between the point and flat?
    NW IOWA
  • Shrek
    Shrek Posts: 67
    Options
    @hapster foil balls between plate setter & drip pan?  
    My daughter named my Egg Shrek, because it is big, green, and burps.  
    LBGE in Arlington, VA
    God Bless America!
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Yes on the foil balls.... plate setter, air gap, grid, and finally meat

Leave the fat between the point and flat
  • SickEyeDiaz
    Options
    Philly35 said:
    Do I want to put water in the drip pan? And should I remove the big think hunk of fat between the point and flat?
    Yes you should put something in the drip pan. Water, beer, broth, something. If its dry, the dripping hit it and burn up which can alter the flavor for the worst. Or so I've heard ;)
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I personally think that any liquid in your pan causes a cold zone in the egg. Water boils at 212* and your going to cook at 225-250* so all the air except the steam coming from your drip pan will be 250ish while under your brisket will be 212* or so. If you use a spacer( green feet, foil balls or 1/2" nuts) it will keep the drippings from burning. The egg retains moisture so no need to add it. IMHO

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Don't Egg me on
    Options
    So Mattman do u do ur Briskets without a drip pan? If so do you cover the platesetter with foil? I'm doing a Pork butt Saturday night for Sunday get together and am considering not using a drip pan...
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I would only cut away only the hard fat, no to water in the drip pan, spacers between plate setter and drip pan, i inject also. When it is finished and probe slides in easy I would foil it you can add au jus in the foil if you like and pack it in a cooler with towels for a couple hours.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Absolutely no need for any liquid in the drip pan!  The hard fat should be cut away.  I have found a simple salt and pepper rub to be the best but your taste may vary!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options

So Mattman do u do ur Briskets without a drip pan? If so do you cover the platesetter with foil? I'm doing a Pork butt Saturday night for Sunday get together and am considering not using a drip pan...

If I am goin indirect I always use a drip pan It just keeps the goo from burning on the plate setter. I generally don't foil the PS but I do use spacers so I have an air gap between the PS and the drip pan. I have made a foil extension if I am cooking something larger than my drip pan.
    I will be the first to say I have only cooked a couple of flats so I am no pro at da brisket, just commenting on the adding water part of the question from the OP.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options

Yes... most definitly...liquid in the pan...(unless you want burning fat smoke on your meat and in the pit). As long as the brisket will be on...your temps will equalize. I do usually try to leave plenty of space between the bottom of my cook (butts and brisket) and the drip pan.

You're looking to get good air circulation between the pan and meat if you can...and it will help with bark formation on the bottom.

Good luck!! 

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • R3K
    R3K Posts: 52
    Options
    Please report back on what exactly you did (full details) and how it turned out.  My first brisket last weekend didn't turn out anywhere near as good as I had hoped.  I think I made a ton of rookie mistakes and I'm looking to learn from anyone that has a successful cook.
  • williamadamsesq
    Options
    Don't trim the cover fat over the flat too heavily.
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    R3K said:

Please report back on what exactly you did (full details) and how it turned out.  My first brisket last weekend didn't turn out anywhere near as good as I had hoped.  I think I made a ton of rookie mistakes and I'm looking to learn from anyone that has a successful cook.

If ya don't mind, how did you cook yours and when did you pull it? What were some of the mistakes you made so I can avoid them?

NW IOWA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Here is a vid from Aaron Franklin that shows how to trim/rub a brisket:

...this is one in a series.  I think the others for brisket are "the cook" and "the payoff". 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.