Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I lied - one additional eggsessory

I lied.  I do have one other eggsessory that had gone unopened.  When my sister was well, she loved to eat whatever I cooked for her on the egg.  Before she passed, she gave me one last gift that's sat in it's box for more than 10 years:  A mini egg.  Never been used, and still has the old wooden/rounded handle as proof to its age.  Always was terribly afraid I'd damage it on a cook - and wasn't really portable in a car (this was before the EggKarten) for picnics in the park ... but now, partly because of you guys and this forum, I've gotten it out and will be using it shortly.

It will be serving doubly-duty:  My daughter (who's not quite four) thinks it's her egg ... and she wants to learn to cook with/like Dad. 

She likes it so much, she wants me to make her a table made for it, just like the big one.  Apparently, the nest/legs I just bought are not going to cut it  :)

I think my sister would have been proud.

StlScott

PS:  If anyone with BGE corporate reads this - the Egg aprons are wonderful, but you might want to consider doing kids' aprons, with 'Mini Egg' emblazoned on them (with a similar graphic as the one on the original).  My girlfriend is making my daughter one, but something tells me officially licensed ones would be a huge hit for families.

Comments

• EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Awesome story, but like Frankie482 I about shed a tear.  Awesome story and YES, absolutely, your sister IS watching and IS proud...
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    So very cool. What a gorgeous little helper. You might want to update the bands/ handle ti the new ones for safety with her using it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Hold her tight ,they grow up fast ! Way cool she wants to be like Dad !!!!!
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    An absolutely adorable pic. I'm sure your sister is beaming to see that you and your daughter are putting her gift to such good use.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

What a great story to read in the morning. 

I believe that there is a time and a place for everything for reasons we don't always know or understand. 

You kept an egg in a box for 10 years for a great and really understandable reason... and now that your daughter is old enough she is sharing the joy of egging with you and that must have brought back so many memories of your sister's love of your cooking.

My own daughter is 4 and one of the best ways to spend time with her is cooking and egging together - although I don't have a mini - I may just need to rethink that...

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    That was a great story. Thanks for posting it.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    How very sweet. A little teary, here.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Thanks so much or sharing this beautiful story and picture with the eggers.

:x
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Nice story thanks for posting it.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    That's awesome!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Great story!I believe that every so often, when we need it most, we have "visits" from those we miss. Sounds like a "visit" to me.
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • Amazing story - made my night.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    This is a great story, thanks for sharing.

Yes, the Egg makes amazing food, but it also does much more than that.  It bring families together, and give us a moment to slow down and remember loved ones.

I can't Egg without my 12 year old daughter, my Sous Chef, right there in the middle of it with me.  Helping me prep the food, plan out meals, etc.  I wouldn't trade this time for anything in the world.  Enjoy the time together and the ride, StlScott!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Very touching story thanks for sharing.

Johns Creek, Georgia