Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ DX2: temp control system

Has any one ever used this? It looks like it makes temperature control simple. Your thoughts? Thanks for the help.

Comments

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I've used one for about a year and a half.  I like it alot and it has always kept the temp within a couple of degrees.  Check out the reviews of several controllers on the Naked Whiz's site.  The newer one has wifi which some people like better. 

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Has any one ever used this? It looks like it makes temperature control simple. Your thoughts? Thanks for the help.
    Thousands of people have used them.  They work great, so if you think it's the way you want to go, go for it!  Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • anez
    anez Posts: 150
    I just got one a few months ago. Have used it twice - overnight brisket and a rib cook. It's so easy to use and allows you to sleep easy knowing temp isn't going anywhere. I love it.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    I have had mine a while maybe 2 or more years. I love it. However I wish the cyber Q wifi was out when I bought mine. It just has more features. In either case I put my meat on and set up my Digi Q and forget about it. I can go out of town or talk with the nieghbors whatever I want and never have to worry about the temp. I do not do low and slows without it.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Thanks for all of the feed back!! One last question. Is it battery controlled? Will it be okay if it rains? Thanks!!!
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Get one, you will love it! Unit can be powered by either AC or DC. As to rain, I cover mine with a clear plastic bag.
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    Worth every penny. I should have bought one years ago. There are a couple used ones for sale on eBay....little cheaper then new. I got a used dx2 from this forum for $200 delivered.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • Thanks for all of the feed back!! One last question. Is it battery controlled? Will it be okay if it rains? Thanks!!!
    It has a brick to plug into the wall.  However, you can use a cigarette lighter cable and a 12V car starting battery to power it.  As for rain, it is not waterproof.  I just put mine in a zip lock bag with the cables hanging out the bottom.  The blower should probably be covered from above too.
    The Naked Whiz
  • scarri3r
    scarri3r Posts: 29
    I just got one a couple weeks ago.  Didn't opt for the more expensive CyberQ with Wi-Fi ( although, that would have been nice ).  Anyway,  I find it easier to clip the DigiQ temp prob to the BGE dome therm.  I tried clipping it to the grate however it seemed my stainless steel grate was 40 degrees hotter than my dome temp...My gasket is worn so maybe it's just hotter there as I do see some smoke come out the sides when it's ramping up.  ?  Once I clipped it to the dome thermometer, I had dead-on temps matching each other.  Awesome!!  I think most of the recipes we get here on the forum are for dome temps anyway so that's why I did that.  Any other thoughts ? 
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    I got mine about 2 weeks after I got my LBGE and I just love it ,It is very simple to use and if your doing low and slow cooks with the DigiQ Dx2 you can go to bed and not have to worry about you cook it is almost like you have a person babysitting you cook the DigiQ keeps the temp where you set it to and you can also set it to ramp down the temp so it will not over cook your food .I highly recomend that you buy it you will love it 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Love all the feed back!! I just purchased mine and it will be here on Friday!! Going to use it this weekend. With having 4 kids and going in many directions, this makes the cooking simple. I love very low temps and long cooks for my smoke. Thanks again for all of the feedback!!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Mine has been drenched with rain more times than I care to remember.  A few weeks ago I took it apart to see if I was getting any signs of water - corrosion - inside.  Nothin'.  Clean as the day it was new. 

I'm not recommending getting it wet, but the case appears to be rain resistant.  The probes - that's another story.  We probes can be off calibration.  The wall-wort AKA brick AKA power supply - definitely not water resistant.  I'm on my second one.  Good thing I have a giant box of extra power supplies.
    scarri3r said:
    I just got one a couple weeks ago.  Didn't opt for the more expensive CyberQ with Wi-Fi ( although, that would have been nice ).  Anyway,  I find it easier to clip the DigiQ temp prob to the BGE dome therm.  I tried clipping it to the grate however it seemed my stainless steel grate was 40 degrees hotter than my dome temp...My gasket is worn so maybe it's just hotter there as I do see some smoke come out the sides when it's ramping up.  ?  Once I clipped it to the dome thermometer, I had dead-on temps matching each other.  Awesome!!  I think most of the recipes we get here on the forum are for dome temps anyway so that's why I did that.  Any other thoughts ? 
    scarri3rThe temp at the grid is hotter than the dome especially when you are just starting up.  The longer the cook goes the closer in temperature they become.  Put it back on the grid, just make sure you have it over the platesetter or whatever you are using to make the cook indirect.