Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to Cook Elgin Hot Sausage

Scott
Scott Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wondering if anyone has any advice on how to cook Elgin Hot Sausage on the Egg... I'd like to avoid flame-ups and also the shriveled look sausage can get sometimes. Any thoughts? I ordered 10 lbs from southside market and am firing it up in a few days.[p]If not elgin sausage, any general sausage tips would be great.[p]Thanks!!!

Comments

• I'm not familiar with Elgin Sausage, but I do bratwursts, hot dogs and kielbasas with excellent results. I usually just bring the egg up to cooking temperature and put those puppies on direct. Any flare-ups are easily extinguished by closing the vents. I personally like a little char so it's not a problem.

To completely eliminate flare-ups and minimize shrinkage just go indirect and use a drip pan.

OctoberGlory
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Scott, not familiar with Elgin Hot Sausage. Are these links? What size? Typically, I'll put my other link sausages direct on about 350. I do NOT pierce the skin and allow them to cook until browned on both sides. Typically it takes me 15-20 minutes total cooking time.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Scott,
    I'm not familiar with Elgin sausage either; a google turned up "Meyer's Elgin Sausage" out of Texas. This looks to be a ring sausage.[p]In general, I like a smokey taste, so I establish a fire with a couple hickory chunks in the 275 to 300 degree range, then put the sausage(s) on turning every 5 to 6 minutes. Thermapen it/them, looking for 135 to 140 degrees.[p]If you're doing link sausages, I've found it's easiest to lay them between the rods of the grill.[p]HTH
    Ken

• Scott,[p]Sorry, not familliar with the Elgins, but my favourite way is to grill them at around 400 direct for around 5-7 min, then put them in a small foil pan, covered, filled with guinness for about 20min. You might want to drop the temp to low 300's for the beer stage. Recipe was poached from Webber's old book.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Scott,
    To reduce shrinkage and wrinkles (ah-hem) the hot tub method works. Do not poke holes in the casing.
    Simmer the sausage in beer or water with onions (the hot tub). Use enough liquid to cover sausage. No hard boiling. Skim any foam off. When the sausage is cooked- about 30-45 minutes depending on size, grill direct on a raised grid 400 degree dome for browning and grill marks. About 5 to 7 minutes per side. Remove sausage from grill and return to the hot tub and let'em relax. Keep the liquid hot and the sausages will be ready for the bun nice and plump.
    Clay

• Scott, Southside Market sausage is pretty greasy so I would go with a raised grid with a temp of 250-275 for 30-40 minutes. A chunk of hickory would go well that sausage too. To reduce the shriveled looked avoid overcooking this sausage. Been cooking Elgin sausage for 20 years, so let me know if you have any other questions. Jim

• cbs
    cbs Posts: 99
    All of you people need to venture out in the world of barbecue. Elgin Hot Sausage and sausage from Kreuz Market are the stuff of kings.

I usually do both of them at 250 or so on a direct raised grid with a couple chunks of some type of wood. I let them go a liitle while, but my better half prefers a drier sausage (so it's "healthy").
  • cbs
    cbs Posts: 99
    FYI Meyers Elgin sausage and Elgin Hot Sausage from Southside Market in Elgin are two different animals, though they're within a hop, skip and a jump from one another. It's great living in Central Texas (and now better that the "cold front" came through and it's not 108 any more).

My first job as a teen was in a barbecue joint and we served the sausage from Southside market. We smoked it some as I described in my last post.
  • Scott
    Wise One, bigjim, Blue Smoke, Clay, and Beefer,[p]Thanks very much for the tips. Given that bigjim has been cooking Elgin sausage for years I think I'll give his method a try first, but will certainly give them all a go.[p]If you guys like sausage and don't know about the town of Elgin I strongly urge you to try it. This town of 5,000 or so people is known across the US for its BBQ - specifically its sausage. Its in the heart of the German belt in Texas, the sausage is 100% beef, and seasoned perfectly with black pepper and other spices. Though I am in NY, my mom is from there, and I can't tell you of better barbecue than from the Southside Market or Crosstown, both in Elgin. However, I'm sure you'll get plenty of folks to weigh in on that argument on this forum. The website is http://www.southsidemarket.com[p]Thanks again guys![p]Scott

• Scott
    bigjim,[p]One more quick question - do you have a pan of water or bricks or anything for indirect heat? Or is it just straight flame on a raised grid? Thanks again![p]Scott