Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stromboli

These were my first strombolis.  They turned out pretty good.  

Publix Pizza dough (sat out for an hour or so) before rolling with corn meal and flour.
Brushed with Olive Oil
Cooked on BGE pizza stone for about 20 mins on 500 dome temp.

A Cheesesteak Stromboli and One with Sautéed Peppers and Onions with Pepperoni.

IMG_8542IMG_8546IMG_8543
IMG_8545

IMG_8548IMG_8544

Comments

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Way cool.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Way cool.
    Thanks!!  Tasted that way too.   :D
  • StlScott
    StlScott Posts: 77

Oh. My. God.

You said 'boli.  I have tried, so many times, to explain to friends here in the Midwest what a boli is ("it is NOT a calzone!").  That crust looks wonderful ... makes me long for a good Publix. 

If you don't mind, could you do a bit of an explanation as to how you assemble it (it is, at least for me, a bit tougher than it looks to come out correctly).  I'm also impressed by how greaseless yours appear - any tips on what you did with your filling (precook the meats - or anything like that) would be greatly appreciated.

Again, that looks absolutely wonderful.

StlScott

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Lookin good.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• I feel you Scott.  Im from Philly and live in TN now.  Hard to find good italian eats here.  So using the egg helps me try and get there.

Here's how I did it.

Let the dough sit out for an hour or so.
    Preheat the egg.  Get it going to 500.  I set the place setter up and then the stone on top.
    Make sure to heat the stone with the egg so its hot too and cooks the bottom.

Sauteed the onions peppers in olive oil with some garlic.  Put that aside and let cool.
    I took about a third to half the dough from publix and rolled out like I would a pizza, except I roll it into a square instead of pie shaped.  Used a small plastic rolling pin.  Get it as thin as possible without holes coming through.  Be generous with the flour and corn meal.  

Leave about 2 inches on each side for closing it up.  On the side closest to you lay out some mozzarella then pepperoni then the onions and peppers.  Carefully roll it over, then put on another layer of ingredients.  Then roll again, then pinch up the sides, so its all tight together.  Through a little flour and corn meal underneath so you can slide it off onto the stone.

Brush some olive oil on the top and sides.  Then cut some small slits on the top (I didn't do that with these)  It helps cook the insides a little better.

Couple tips - make sure your stone is clean.  Use water and something plastic to scrape it off.  I made another stromboli about a week later and there was some leftover stuff from a pizza I cooked and it burnt the bottom.  Also, I try to not open the egg when its cooking but I like to move the stromboli around a little so it doesn't stick too much.

Thanks for the comment.
    Good luck and let me know when you do and get some pics!

Dan

• StlScott

@blackmosquito - thank you very much for this.  My dough doesn't always windowpane properly, and I inevitably tear the heck of it in the assembly/transfer portions of the cook.  Your look amazing. 

Flagging this so I can come back to it the next time I make a boli.

Spent three summers in Jersey when I was in college - my folks lived in a small town called Neshanic Station in the central part of the state.  I remember driving up to Rutgers to a little college hangout called Stuff Yer Face for the best bolis I'd ever eaten.  Your post took me right back there ... so, thanks for that.

StlScott

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Just like my mom used to make. It's been sooooooooooo looooooong since I had one. I used to throw them wrapped in double foil on the car engine during trips to heat them up when she would give them to me "to go. " it worked like a charm.
    Dunedin, FL
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Looks great
    LBGE, Marietta, GA

• yzzi said:
    Just like my mom used to make. It's been sooooooooooo looooooong since I had one. I used to throw them wrapped in double foil on the car engine during trips to heat them up when she would give them to me "to go. " it worked like a charm.
    That is awesome about the car engine!!!
  • StlScott said:

@blackmosquito - thank you very much for this.  My dough doesn't always windowpane properly, and I inevitably tear the heck of it in the assembly/transfer portions of the cook.  Your look amazing. 

Flagging this so I can come back to it the next time I make a boli.

Spent three summers in Jersey when I was in college - my folks lived in a small town called Neshanic Station in the central part of the state.  I remember driving up to Rutgers to a little college hangout called Stuff Yer Face for the best bolis I'd ever eaten.  Your post took me right back there ... so, thanks for that.

StlScott

My pleasure.  I CANNOT for the life of me find any around here.  Still trying to perfect pizza though.  Transfer and not burning are my biggest issues but its getting better.

I see you have been egging for a lonnnnng time.  I will be following your stuff for some good tips.  I have only been at it for a couple of months.  

That windowpaning?  is that the slits on the top?  I use a real thin serrated knife and drag the back part of it across.

Going to try and put some Papa Murphys take and bake tonight.

• StlScott

Wiondowpaning refers to the elasticity in the dough ... I've always presumed that a good dough (for both pizza and bolis) is supposed to be so thin you can almost see through it  :)  My problem is that it always seems to tear on me...  Suggestions on how you were able to wrap it so well?  Mine always look like they were hacked and slapped together (the Frankenstein's of the boli world).

Papa Murphy's ... good stuff, Maynard.  It's relatively cheap compared to all the takeout places ... and is darn good quality for what it is.  I'm partial to the two crust meat lovers  :)

StlScott

• Gotcha.  I used a small plastic hand roller.  A decent amount of flour and corn meal.  Just kept rolling and spreading until I got it as thin as possible.  I wouldn't go the almost see through method.  I got it real thin though and then put some ingredients in, then flipped it and then repeat one more time.  
  • A calazone has ricotta cheese plus everything put in a stromboli it was the way I was told
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    edited August 2013

A calazone has ricotta cheese plus everything put in a stromboli it was the way I was told

Sauce inside a boil sauce outside a zone. And usually boils are long zones are semi circle. Not 100% but I am chubby and you don't get that way without eating. :)
  • Not sure any of it is set in stone but found the following on the net:
    A Stromboli and a Calzone start off the same--both made with pizza dough.But, their shapes are different. The Calzone's dough starts off like a triangle. The Stromboli dough looks like a long rectangle.Then come the toppings. The Stromboli gets a healthy portion of mozzarella cheese. The Calzone get a scoop of ricotta and a scoop of mozzarella. That's the main difference right there.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843

Not sure any of it is set in stone but found the following on the net:
    A Stromboli and a Calzone start off the same--both made with pizza dough.But, their shapes are different. The Calzone's dough starts off like a triangle. The Stromboli dough looks like a long rectangle.Then come the toppings. The Stromboli gets a healthy portion of mozzarella cheese. The Calzone get a scoop of ricotta and a scoop of mozzarella. That's the main difference right there.

This is the definition according to the greater philly and nyc area. Also the sauce is inside a stromboli as u_tarded stated.
    Dunedin, FL
  • I have always known the two as 

Stromboli - Pizza dough with mozz and other ingredients rolled over w/ marinara on the side.  Long rectangular shape.

Calzone - Pizza dough - Half moon shaped with some mozz and ricotta cheese inside with the ingredients.
  • Stromboli, we do that in oven in home, yet another thing for me to try on the egg!  How is the cheesesteak stromboli made?
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Looks tasty, wow. All the Ideas here.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE