Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

After six years of patience, I bought an egg and have Boston Butt to show for it

Six years ago, I began a job that had me visiting a local hardware store once a week. It was then, in July 2007, that I saw my first Big Green Egg. I was blown away -- I lifted the lid, caressed the thick ceramic and marveled at the craftsmanship. Problem was, I had just bought an enormous stainless steel gas grill at a big home improvement store. There was no way my wife was going to go for this egg showing up in the backyard.
Every week, I'd return to the store. Every week, I'd drool. 
Well, next month I turn 40 and a few weeks ago, my wife encouraged me to just go buy the thing as a birthday present. So I did.
I then found this forum, immediately got to work looking at recipes and last week made a seven-pound Boston Butt after reading recommendations here. I stole a rub from Hashmaker, I got a drip pan, a placesetter and a thermometer. 
I woke up at 3 a.m. and fired up the egg. By 4 a.m. the pork was in the egg. By 5 p.m., I was double-wrapping it in heavy duty foil and putting it in my cooler. At 6 p.m., the neighbors came running over as I unwrapped the most beautiful butt I have ever seen in my life. It tasted even better than it looked.
Thank you all for your valuable posts here. You've made it possible for me to blow my wife's mind on a regular basis -- something not (ahem) easily (ahem) accomplished (ahem).

Comments