Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Wreck

bxcrwlly
bxcrwlly Posts: 8
edited April 2013 in Using the Egg
So, I'm a recovering (W) addic.  I had a contractor install a (L)BGE in our outdoor kitchen a year ago.  He built an under-cabinet shelf and cut a hole in the granite counter-top and mounted the egg on a Lazy Susan.  And here's where the fun begins.  I can't open the egg front to back account the lid hits the back wall.  It only opens (full) either left or right.   I bought the ash tool but can't use it account the clearance between the bottom egg opening and the cabinet door is too tight so I can't properly manipulate the tool to clean the egg.  I must open left or right, remove all charcoal(enter from the top), remove the grate, along with part of the ceramic fire box to give the egg a proper ash cleaning.  Since it is a charcoal dust nightmare (all over the counter-top), I try to clean every thirty days.  When I do clean it, I look like a coal miner.  I grill approximately once per week.  Now comes the lighting and temperature drama.  I've tried the BGE lighting sticks and/or an old charcoal chimney.  It still takes forever to heat the egg, usually longer than 30" with both top and bottom vents open.  Cabinet ventilation is adequate with plenty of clearance for the egg.  So I purchased a propane weed burner, yeah I know, my wife said it too.  I was over the top.  I hook the weed burner to a 20lb. propane tank and away we go.  Quicker, but a pain in the butt with having to drag it and the propane tank out of the garage and being careful not to summons our local fire department when lighting.  So I'm kinda back to square one.  To the point I even threatened to replace the BGE with a, you know, a (WK).  Additionally, I can't quite get that same great (WK) bbq when simply grilling.  I lose 20-50 degrees of heat when opening the lid and then there's the recovery time.  When I leave the lid open for turning, basting or saucing, the heat burns off all hair on my arm(I purchased a welder's glove...kinda awkward).  I read a number of posts about lighting and cleaning but haven't found the holy grail.  Looking for enlightenment from forum members who may have suggestions on an easier ash cleaning method(using RO lump brand) and any hints that would facilitate lighting the thing without creating a volcanic replica in the ODK or other helpful grilling techniques to make me fall in love with the BGE...At best, it is a strained relationship.  It seems between the lighting and cleaning processes that the BGE is a maintenance nightmare(sorry if I offended any Egg-Heads).  Appreciate your feedback.

Comments

• HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited April 2013
    Cleaning out the ash... A small shop vacuum is what a lot of people use. That pooper scooper they sold me and you is no good. For lighting the BGE I usually use a $12 electric lighter. I'm retired and never in a rush. Some guy's have blow torches like yours and they are glad they have them it seems. Getting a really good steak on the BGE is hard to do... Until you learn how to get your steak close to the hot coal. There are 2 technic's that both work. One is called the T-Rex method. The other is called the Reverse Sear. They are one in the same but reversed. With the T-rex method you get your Egg to 600 to 700 degrees and put your steaks down a few inches from the hot lump and sear it for 3 or 4 minutes. Then you take the meat off and rest it while you cool your Egg down to 400 degrees. You put the meat back on at the fire ring level and bake it until it hits your desired temp. The Reverse Sear is a complete reverse of that. You bake the steaks first until your meat temp is 110 degrees. Then you take out your large grid that for that cook sits on top of the fire ring. You transfer the steaks to a smaller grid that you placed on top of your fire box after you started your fire. You fill your fire box so the lump is 2" below the top of the fire box. So your sear is done 2" above your red hot lump and you cook it until you hit your desired temp. And... It seems you are 1 or the other. T-rexer's think they are doing it the right way. Reverse Sear guy's are sure the T-rexer's are crazy. They both work but... In my humble opinion when you are cooking with a device that will heat up very, very quickly but takes FOREVER to cool down the Reverse Sear makes much more sense to me. Then there have been indepth studies done that proves if you cook low and slow...first, your finish product come out with a better crust and a more balanced interior. You can review that study on Amazingribs .com. Tell Meathead I sent you. He is a former professor at Cordon Bleu a highly respected school of the culinary arts. He is a judge at many BBQ competitions and I think he has the best BBQ website on the web. Anyway Egg Wreck... You bought a fine cooking device and when you learn to use it to the best of it's ability you will love it. Dine well my friend.
  • bxcrwlly
    bxcrwlly Posts: 8
    HogHeaven..been away from the forum for a bit.  Thanks for the feedback.  Getting acclimated to my Egg.  Quit using the torch. (My wife thought she was going to be making a call to our friendly fire department.  Took my old (W) chimney and use my recycled hardwood but only the amount holds for a "short" cook ie. burgers, steaks, chicken, etc.  Add some new to top off.  Use two ceramic lighting sticks under the chimney.  Do a rough clean each time I cook. Performing much better.  My son-in-law cooked some steaks the other day, around 650-700 deg. open top.  They were wonderful.  Nice sear and obviously quick.  I found a guy that makes a stainless chimney with a bottom drop and will be ordering soon.  Don't won't to burn the gasket while dumping the coals.  Will heed your advice on techniques as well.  Thanks a bunch.  I too am recently retired and love a week with 6 Fridays and 1 Saturday especially for using the Egg.  :-h