Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatloaf for dinner`

Options
Dimple's Mom
Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Need to make meatloaf per request for dinner tonight. I'm looking for a good recipe, but not one with ingredients I don't have or can't get at the local grocery. I don't have any bought rubs or marinades on hand, so it has to be something universal or homemade. [p]Lawnranger, I have seen references to a meatloaf from you but can't find it in the archived recipes.[p]Thanks,
Gwen

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,826
    Options
    dimple'smom,
    i dont follow recipes very close, this one has everything i like in a meatloaf. its not one to put ketchup on though

[ul][li]meatloaf[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    fishlessman,
    That looks *Very* yummy but my kids wouldn't come near that with a 10-foot pole! LOL And they are the ones who requested meafloaf for dinner.[p]I don't usually follow recipes either and lately my meatloafs have been getting worse and worse, imo.[p]Yours does look great and I'll try that another night when it's just hubby and me. I think he would like that as well![p]Gwen

• Dimple's Mom
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]P.S. What do you mean by 'gave it a good dose of solid ball'? Do you mean you patted it into a loaf shape?[p]Gwen
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,826
    Options
    dimple'smom,
    solid ball is one of ken stones rubs. its good stuff, but an italian seasoning would work well on this

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    dimple'smom,
    here's the recipe for the spawn's famous meatloaf. ..[p]couple of pounds of 80/20 ground beef
    one onion chopped up
    2 eggs
    about 3/4 cup of italian bread crumbs[p]mix it all up into a loaf shape[p]set up your egg at 350 indirect with grid over inverted plate setter. ... put loaf on the grid (no pan necessary) and smear some ketchup on top of it. .. figure about 1 1/2 hours to reach 150 - 160 internal temps (we like ours fairly well done. .. [p]if you want it a little smokey tasting, add a piece of wood to the fire. . ..[p]easy and the kids should love it... .

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    dimple'smom,
    My mom taught me to make meatloaf, and it's pretty much "flying by the seat of my pants". [p]1 to 1 1/2 pound ground beef
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 large carrot, shredded
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 can tomatoes, drained (liquid reserved)
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon salt (or thereabouts)
    1/2 teaspoon pepper (or thereabouts)
    generous dash worcestershire sauce[p]Combine all ingredients in bowl and mix thoroughly. Add small amounts of tomato canning liquid if the mixture is too stiff. Place in loaf pan and bake at 350 for 45 to 50 minutes (internal temperature should be about 170.) Baste every 15 minutes with juices as they develop. Allow to cool before slicing and serving.[p]Ken

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    dimple'smom,[p]Here's mine. It's pretty much comfort food and VERY traditional. The only thing you might not have is the DizzyPig rub, which you could just omit (I only recently started adding it), or you could use another store bought steak rub, like McCormicks. [p]Have fun!
    Tonia
    :~)[p]

[ul][li]QBabe's Meatloaf[/ul]
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]This is very similar to what I've always made ex for the tom sauce. My family loves it but I'm looking to branch out. Maybe I should stick with the famliar![p]Gwen
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    QBabe,[p]Sounds pretty tasty! I'll have to give it a try, if not tonight then the next time. I have several to choose from now! I did see yours in the archive but ignored it since I asked for an ingredient I didn't have. But if it's not really a crucial part.....[p]Thanks,
    Gwen

• Scotch1
    Options
    QBabe,
    We returned from Gainsville Sun (Son lives there)and I fixed yours. The only substitution was Dijon mustard for the Ketchup. I sliced a Tomatoe on top. Anyway, It was outstanding!! My wife thought it was better tho'

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Scotch1,[p]Glad you enjoyed it! The mustard sounds like a great option. What a good idea![p]Tonia
    :~)